Friday, September 23, 2005

The Red Coat

I got my coat! Yay! It is so kewl. Everybody really needs a fifty year old, bright red wool parka embellished with hand embroidered puffins.



It is absolutely adorable and it is going to be my Going To Work winter coat. I do have a full length dwon fileld lilac parka I could wear to work, but really, I don’t need to be dressed for an Ice Age everyday…

I also decided that my day in and day out navy blue boys size large winter parka just doesn’t send the “ I Am A Grown Woman” message that I should be projecting to the world – not that puffin embellishment sends out “ Hi. I Am A Grown Woman” clearly either, but it at least says “I Am Not A Boy”. My hope would be that if you see a bright red wool jacket coming at you the very least you should think is: “Female”. I would like my outer wear to stay on message and I think that message should be consistently “I am Not A Boy”, the exception to this would be when I am dog walking, then, I don’t really care, at that point I am off duty and off message and that’s okay.

The new coat also looks more tidy and it makes me look tidy and much less barrel shaped then the blue parka. I can wear it to the mall and not feel like the message I’m presenting to the the world is “Softer Side Of Sears” and more, “Vintage Snow Bunny”, and the matching gloves are way, way cool too. They are Santa gloves.

I’ve never had a garment with fur on it, do I need to feed and water the hood and the gloves? What does one do with fur? Should I name it? Does it need flea and tick preventive? should I register it with the city? and even more importantly, when is winter? I'm ready now. Damn it.

I went all the way to the post office to pick it up at lunch. The postman of course did not see fit to actually bring it to my door – “neither ran nor snow nor dark of night” My Ass., my mail guy goes by his own creed and it has nothing to do with being kept from his appointed rounds. Lazy bastard. I still have a couple of things on the way and I would be willing to bet that if I want them I’m going to have to hit the post office each time.

And speaking of post offices. I have a lovely post office within walking distance from my house. If I don’t want to or can’t walk there, I can stop on my way home from work. It is very convenient. It is also not “my” post office. My post office is on the other side of robin hoods barn and is only slightly easier to find. I’m good at it now. This was how it was when I was in my apartment and the post office was directly next door to the apartments. My “real” post office was a bit of a drive away and was located less then centrally. Bastards.

I still haven’t heard from the DC trip folks yet. I made a not particularly successful dry run last night with Brosky and I did not enjoy myself. I really, really, need those people to get on the stick. I did look up the address to NC Central University where we are supposed to meet, but it’s a whole campus! Where on NC Central campus are we meeting, specifally? Where? GAWD, are we just supposed to drive around in the dark until we just bump into each other? Is there a bat sign I don’t know about? This is why we can’t win elections and fail to run winning campaigns and why we can’t organize the grass roots. We can’t get our shit together and we do not communicate and we think it’s cute to fly by the seat of our pants. It’s not cute, it’s sloppy. ( but it works! I found a carpool!! to the busses! Woo-Hoo!)

No comments: