Friday, September 30, 2005

Sliders

I need a secretary. A secretary would have let me know that today is not September 29th. That today is September 30th. So I would have known. I was planning on 9/29 to be on Friday, today. I went the grocery Wednesday evening and bought food to prepare for an office birthday party potluck that was supposed to today, Friday the 29th, and not Thursday the 28th. Imagine my surprise when Thursday turned out to be the 29th instead of the 28th. I was unthrilled and unprepared and with out a pot to luck with. So, instead of having about a serving of chicken curry casserole I will be eating curry chicken casserole for the next, oh, I don’t know, forever. I hope that Alton Brown wasn’t pulling my chain when he said it was a good recipe – wait, I don’t think he ever said it tasted good, I think all he said was "Curry Chicken Casserole". So. It may suck. I guess I’m going to have to learn to enjoy curry chicken casserole. (turns out it tastes exactly like cream of chicken soup!)

But damn. If I had a secretary she, because who are we kidding he?, anyway. She could have kept me updated as to what day it was. I knew it was Wednesday, but 28th , 29th , 30th , dates mean nothing to me, and while we are on that, who schedules a pot luck with only two days to prepare? That’s just madness. Oddly, though, everyone else seemed to be able to deal with it. There was an email, I learned later, not that I got it, I seem to exist in some sort of email Bermuda Triangle, emails get sent out but they never arrive at their destination. I have a perfectly serviceable email addy at work and somehow I get left off lists. It happens. It sucks. I complain, I get added, I get dropped, it sucks, I complain… get lathered up, rinsed off and repeat ad invinitum.

Sucks being me.

So, I came home and made the casserole for myself. This means that I did not have to add the required celery and onions. I like onions all right but if I’m going to have to eat this every night for the near future, I can forgo the onions. I do not like celery and not having to eat it will make me happy. I was only putting them in for looks anyway. It does stick me with a whole head of celery or whatever celery comes in. I looked for single serve celery in the vegetable section but it doesn’t come like that. They allow you to buy as many or as few mushrooms as you need but they won’t split up a celery head, which sucks. I wonder if Dogger or The Kitty would like celery in their kibble? Do animals eat celery? Both Dogger and Kitty eat weeds and grass when they present themselves so I don’t see why they would pass on celery if it showed up in front of them. It’s kind of weedy and grassy and I bet they would like the crunchiness of it but there is also the stringiness of it and I don’t think animals like stringiness. So maybe, no celery for them. What can you do with celery if you have no intention of eating?

What else. Oh Minnie is making a new noise, for about a week she was making a subtle squeaky noise when I used the breaks, now she is making a significantly less than subtle slidey noise when I use the breaks. The breaks still break, but now when the do, they make a sound like two pieces of smooth aluminum sliding against each other. This new noise was a shock, my truck never made any noise, slidy or squeeky, it just ran. I liked that about it.

I discovered the new noise while I was running to the store to find something to bring to the suddenly Thursday and not Friday birthday lunch. I came to a stop sign and stopped and then said "Hmm. I wonder where sound that came from. That other car just made a weird noise" and then I drove off, and subsequently stopped again, with out the benefit of another car to blame the sound on and this time I heard it again. "Hmm". I said. "That sound came from my vehical. That can not be a good sound. I think I’ll turn up the radio". And I did. Really, really, loud.

No comments: