Friday, October 21, 2005

Cat Tales

Along side my care and feeding schedule of the animals that are actually my responsibility, I also “take care of” the neighborhood feral cats. I put the quotes around the “take care of” because all I do for them is provided a small amount of food everyday and I occasionally, when I think about it, I put water out for them. I’m hardly their responsible party and I know I’m not the only one who feeds them.

There are three. Big Gray Kitty, Big DSH Black and White Kitty with a collar and Smaller DLH Black and White Kitty – who might very well be the kitten I mentally struggled with trying to decide if The Kitty needed as a companion. While I was struggling with this, the kitten left for greener pastures and I didn’t see it again. I think the smaller kitty might be him. Anyway. There are three of them. Now there are four of them.

They have a new friend.


(Not actually the tiny black kitten in question, but a reasonable facsimile)

It is clearly feral and not at all friendly which will probably extend its life span considerably. I don’t know if it belongs to one of the other cats. I am pretty sure, well reasonably sure that the existing cats are fixed so I don’t think they made it themselves. The kitten could have been dumped, but if you were going to dump kittens, why just one? Are the others, if so dead or alive?

One of the existing cats was missing for a few days though. The big gray kitty whined and cried and carried on about it for it for days until its missing friend, the big black and white cat with collar started to come around again – I think this cat is a neutered male. New tiny black kitten appeared around the same time that cat came back. Tiny black kitten is adorable and seems to know where the food dish is and I think eats from it, so the kitten can’t be that young. Or it could be, I don’t know. The first time I saw it I wasn’t sure what I was seeing – it could have been an orphan sock. It wasn’t until the orphan sock appeared under my tree after work on Wednesday that I was sure we had a new cat in the neighborhood.

The tiny boy next door all ready has a plan for that kitty. He wants to get it in his house. His house is all ready home to three or four or maybe five in door puppies and at least three adult yard dogs. I don’t think the kitty is going to be fooled into entering that happy home. I know I don’t want it to. I don’t want the kitten in my house either, but it can not be allowed in his house in any case – he’s a sweetie, but Baby Gangsta would kill a kitten. I’m pretty sure that the kitten does not want to go into any house for any reason so I’m not all that concerned about that happening. Much.

At work I also take care of a feral cat. Now there are two. The new cat is an adult female (I think) and she eats Smokey’s’ food. Smokey is fluffy and gray and looks like a kitten. In reality, he is at best guess, seven years old and he makes our parking lot his home. Seven is old for a feral cat. He’s a tough guy for sure, but new kitty is fighting with him and she is younger and stronger.

I worry about Smokey, but not like the rest of the Smokey Fans Come Lately that pepper me with questions about how “we" are going to provide shelter for him this winter and what about his shots?. I tell them he’s better prepared for the winter then we are and to wash their hands after petting him if they are at all concerned about his vaccination status. Feral cats will break your heart, it is very important not to give them yours as a cat treat.

No comments: