Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Curb Appalling


I’ve been watching too much Curb Appeal in the evenings. I’m starting to look at the front of my house and what I am seeing is not appealing. My house has Curb Appall.

The front door needs to be stripped and repainted. The screen door needs its glass repaired and I would love to paint out the ugly aluminum ness of it – it is a very fancy door, but it is also a very aluminum door and it just lacks a certain something, I would like it better if it were invisible. While I am painting out the door I would also like to paint out the aluminum windows as well, which would also look better invisible. I also am not in love with my porch lights. I think that my cute little post war faux Tudor needs a little Tudor-izing. If I’m going to rock a round door I need to do something to high light it. Speaking of Lights, I saw

these



On Ebay and fell in love. They have the same curve to the glass that my door has and the steep roof line that reflexs the real roof line. Curb Appeal likes that kind of duplicatation of theme. I think the lights are adorable. They are more period then the ones I have now and they just look cuter as well. I’ve emailed the seller to see if they both work and if so, I might bid on them. I have no idea what I would do with them once they arrived, but you know. I’d add them to the list. As one for the single women on my street I have to pick up the slack, I’m the only one with no flowers in the yard.

Curb Appeal, sadly, isn’t coming to my house. If they were I’d imagine that they would replace the porch lights, paint out the screen door, give me new house numbers, tear out the lawn, remove the gawd awful shrubbery, plant an English style flower garden, and probably add some sort of water feature/ bird bath while they were at it. I would think they would replace the roof too. And I would too, if I had a budget of more then $9.99 for parts and labor.
I also want, as part of the curb appeal project to finally get started on my front entryway. It’s very ugly and it is not getting less ugly the longer I don’t do anything about it. It’s a tiny little space, all be it, larger then the back entry way, but still closet like and home to three doors, so it isn’t like there is a lot of wall space to worry about. I did go look at wallpaper books a long time ago now and decided on a design plan, but never got beyond that.

The little wrought iron fence around the deck needs work too. I should paint it; I think that would make it look a lot nicer. I also need to as I look at the front of the house, go to Lowes and get some grass seed. The yard is starting to look a little denuded and for the first time, denuded lawnwise, it is not Doggers doing, It seems to be suffering from lawn pattern baldness! I think in real life it isn’t a baldness issue as much as a parasite issue. Yuck. I’m definitely going to do that job as it takes no skill and less knowledge to drive to the store and pick up a bag a of grass seed and then through the seed around as needed. I need to do something about the back yard too, but right now I’m in curb appeal mode and thankfully, you can not see the backyard from the curb.

My Curb Appeal To Do List

Tackle front entry way
Replace porch lights
Paint fence
Strip and re- paint front door
Paint out aluminum screen door
Repair glass in screen door
Replace house numbers
Paint out ugly aluminum windows
Replace door hardware with period detail?
Seed yard

No comments: