Wednesday, October 5, 2005

Demented Casseroles

Crazy

I think The Kitty has dementia and short term memory problems. Several times lately he has carried on and whined and did the dance of Feed Me! Feed Me! While acting as his own back up band and dumping things that clatter to the kitchen floor. This gets my attention and I go to put food in his bowl and find that this is all ready food in his bowl – not a lot, but certainly enough to tide him over until one of his scheduled feeding times. I don’t do the free feeding thing for him so I usually have to be free to feed him when ever he wants. I don’t mind most of the time, it’s just when he does this at 3:45 am and I get up to feed him and there is all ready food there that I get annoyed. Does being on pred for an extended period of time make you demented and hungry? Because I do not want to have to look into long term care facilities that specialize in feline dementia.

Yes, I know when he gets all demented and social, I should just lock his furry butt in the bathroom, but that would mean that I would have to keep the doors of the various cabinet’s secured shut all the time and I sometimes need to access those cabinet’s and besides, I never think about the status of the bathroom cabinets unless it’s the middle of the night and I am thinking about stashing the kitty in there and realize I can’t because they are not secured shut. I end up going back to sleep and forgetting all about my cabinets door securing issues until The Kitty wakes me up again at 2:15 am.

Kitty is back on pred, well, he never stopped being on pred but his pred ran out and I thought he would be shifted to another med when the pred ran out but the vet is out of town and I get to spend another two weeks cutting Kitty’s pills into quarters. It is not easy, they don’t come with little handy to use tracks all ready cut in them for easy cutting them into quarters like they do for halfs. I’m never sure that the pills are cut in exact quarters, but I figure he gets the dose one way or the other. He really did the best on a higher does, but higher doses of pred aren’t really good for him. A higher dose would also make him crazier and even hungrier then he is now, and those are two side effects we could do with out, especially since the more crazy and hungry he is the less sleep I get.

Just My Luck, another pot luck

Last week I was dissed by the powers that be and ended up bringing chips and dip to a casserole luncheon. This week I am prepared. The invite made it clear that the lunch will be on Friday and I have most of what I need all ready. I did finish last weeks aborted casserole dish and I have learned from that. This time whatever I make will not taste like paste – its going to taste like tomato soup or something else red. Damn it.

No comments: