Friday, October 14, 2005

Give Till They Leave You Alone

It was left in my box. It was left in all the boxes and scattered through the break room and casually left behind in the bathrooms and tucked under everyone's office door and slipped under our wiper blades. I'm pretty sure It’s that time of year again. It’s time for the STATE EMPLOYEES COMBINED CAMPAIGN!!! ( italics and punctuation theirs) Can’t you feel the excitement. I’m just giddy. Giddy. I tell you. They yearly Guilt Guide has arrived. I mean the “Resource Guide” and I didn’t even score a free pencil out of the deal. Last year I got about four free pencils and a chip clip.

This does make it moderately easier on us though. In years past they had a little get together and lined the needy up to parade past us and after the parade of the pathetic, made them dance for us. It was very cruel.

What is even crueler is what the groups do to us. Do you know how hard it is to walk past a group of therapy Clowns as they take turns drawing little tears on each others faces?. Then there is the group that rescues puppies from wood chippers, (video available upon request). The puppy rescuers play hard ball, they bring actual puppies and them shove them in your face and tell you that because of a lack of funds these puppies, the ones licking your face right now, are going to put through the office shredder - but for your donation.... And then the clowns strike back with real live sick chillrin! And another group that provides meals for volunteer rescuers, but they don’t have any cute rescuers to show you because they are all in India saving old people and babies! and if you don't donate, there will be no PB&J for their dinners!

It is hard. I reflexively was going to give to the American Red Cross, but the big ARC isn’t in the Guilt Guide, just the local outfit and I all ready give them my blood. I was going to have to crack open the Guide.

It doesn’t help that every door in the building has little signs : “Buy a cup of coffee or supply life saving medicine? Get Dessert or provided companionship for an elder or child? A movie every weekend or house the family of a sick child?” plastered all over them. I don’t know who is in charge this year, but they are really, really, good.


And in real life? I don’t need to feel guilty about anything. I got my credit card bill today and frankly, enough of the milk of human kindness flowed through me to feed, clothe and doctor a small flooded hamlet in Louisiana. I’m too poor to have things flow! Dribbling is all I can really afford to do and I flowed like a river. Since the earthquake, I’ve explored the power of prayer instead, does anyone know how many Novenas it take to feed a villager?

I did finally did decided my big yearly $60 donation will go to the Raleigh Rescue. They’re my neighbors after all and I’ll be able to see my money in action and gasp, my piddly little donation might make a difference.

Speaking of things I noticed.



She dropped a note on my lap -

Dear Mama,

Why don’t you Dog Blog? You Cat Blog The Kitty . Why can’t you Dog Blog Dogger?


So, for Dogger.

Friday Dog Blogging

No comments: