Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Post Apocalyptic Scenarios

It might be Indictment Day! Or it might not. It might just be Wednesday.

The Grand Jury works Wednesday through Friday and we may or may not get the indictments today or even this week – if it is Bushco bad news it will come out Friday afternoon. It would be nice, you know for us, but don’t hold your breath and don’t expect any of the really bad guys to end up with as much as a slap on the wrists. The players possibly going down this week are going to be deeply unimportantalthough, quick to fall on their swords and within months will quietly get low level jobs with rightwing think tanks – but scenario would be only if Fitgerald accidentally got an assistant to a big fish, the little fish who assist medium fish and fall on their swords will add nothing to the political landscape.

I hope the left isn’t banking on some sort of mass indictments to come out of this and some how do away with the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy. I doubt there will be any cosmic retribution for Rethuglican bad acts. No one we know is going to be named. Remember when all those Reagan appointees ended up indicted during his presidency? And what an enormous change that made on the political landscape? Yeah, in the election cycle that followed we voted in his VP and in the early 90s we suffered the Republican Revolution that we are still suffering to this day... So don’t think that even a high end inditee is going to change anything.

I still want them all though. I want the whole west wing emptied out and frog marched out. I want Cheney to become the new Agnew. I want Scooter Libby to wind up in a cell, I want John Bolton to really learn about what it feels like when everyone really is out to get you. I want Alberto Gonzales to get a first person perspective on torture. Okay, that is mean. What I really meant, is I would like him to spend a lot of time in a prison library studying history of torture as a method of questioning through the ages and its effectiveness. Bless His Heart!

Wonkette has kindly made up an Indictment Bingo card for us. It has all the heavy hitters plus the folks who are low enough on the totem pole of evol to most likely to go the woodshed for the whole mess: Fred Fleitz, Andy Card, Stephen Hadley,possible Deep Throat 2005? John Hannah The bingo card also indulges our magical thinking with the inclusion of: John Bolton, Karl Rove, Condi Rice, Dick Cheney, Colin Powell and Alberto Gonzales as possible recipients of some Grand Jury style beat downs.

What else?

I saw that some progress is being made with baseball. They seem to have finally made some headway in deciding which teams are going on. I could care less. I did have a brief moment of slight caring when I saw the Yankees got cut, that made me happy, but only for a second. Now if by some miracle, the Texas Rangers were playing for all the marbles, - and I am aware that would only be able to occur in a post apocalyptic scenario season - then I would be interested. I might even watch the games, if we still had TV in a post apocalyptic scenario season… But, there is about as much chance of the Rangers going all the way in a non-post apocalyptic season scenario as there is of Dick Cheney or Karl Rove or Condi Rice getting indicted this week.

No comments: