Monday, October 24, 2005

Tomorrow’s Lunch Today


1:30 - Sit down to write entry.
1:31 - Remember that I have not eaten lunch nor have I prepared lunch for the following day.
1:45 - Discover lack of dessert for next days meal.
2:00 - Try to figure out what to eat for lunch today. Gnaw on fingers.
2:30 - Remember I got a Happy Meal after church and do not actually need to eat lunch again. Continue to gnaw on fingers.

I go to the kitchen to make Mondays lunch. I am shocked to discover that I have no dessert food. I have ham, I have hamburger roll, I have adequate chips and I have a soda but I do not have dessert food. This is a serious breach. I am all ready with out the right sized reading material to share my lunch with. I mean, I have a book that I am reading at lunch but it doesn’t fit into the space provided in my lunch bag and now I have to carry my book separate from my lunch bag and this leaves me nonplused as well as introducing a new layer of difficulty to my day. I now have to remember to bring the book in with me into the office and then have to remember to take it with me when I fetch my lunch bag so now I have two things to carry with me in addition to my keys and I don’t like this.

Anyway. I am with out dessert food. I need to have something to fill that part of my lunch! It’s important. It goes coke, sandwich, chips, dessert food. It’s not rocket science. But it does have to happen. I have to go to the store.

I was at the store yesturday. I have all ready stored. I went to the bookstore to cash in a gift card and while I was out I went to the store. I went to the drug store, I could have gone to a grocery store then too had I known there was going to be a dessert food crisis! I do not want to go back to the store because I know if I go into the store I will find many other things I also need. The temptation to also get new lights for the front entry way, liquid dish detergent, more dog food before I need it, and the TV dinners I found I can tolerate. I can not afford a trip to the store at this time to buy all of the things that I need at the store, all standing there with their little hands open. They don’t care to see me shake my finger at them and say “Not until after payday!”. I do have change, I could avoid a trip to replenish my dessert food. I could buy something out of the machine in the break room until after the first of the month but this again adds a level of difficulty to my day and I’m not excited about it because now I’ll have to remember to dig through my change dish and fish out change every day and then manage to hold on to my train of thought long enough to remember why I have this .65 in hand and then to put it in my wallet and not back into the change dish because tomorrow’s lunch is far away and not all that important the night before.

If I go to the store I will be forced to buy a pumpkin. No one else has one yet. The whole area is pumpkinless. The Great Pumpkin like the Democrats and the Republicans, failed to send missionaries out to spread their message of good news Halloween is in a week and there are trick or treat aged kids on every corner and the neighborhood is bare. Perhaps they are all too Christian to celebrate a less then biblical holiday - The place looks like a Jewish enclave the week before Christmas - Lights off, blinds shut, Inner Life in over drive. I would be the one house with a light up menorah in the front yard and the house outlined with blue and white lights with the message “It’s The Festival Of Lights! Lighten Up All Ready!” written in script on the roof.

I don’t have the trick or treat candy bought either, last year I bought coupons from Wendys with the logic that if I did not hand them all out that I could not eat the left overs. Which is true, you can’t eat paper and after getting one of the kiddie milkshakes from Wendys, you can’t eat them either.

No comments: