Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Weekends.

This morning I was weighing my lunch hour options. I was weighing my options about plowing into my now five day old bag lunch. It was supposed to be last Thursdays bag lunch but I ended up running errands and getting a Happy Meal instead. It would have been Fridays bag lunch but we had the birthday luncheon and so it stayed in the bag until today – but first, I ran a couple of quickie errands.

I needed to mail a couple of bills, and sooner the better is always the way to do it – sadly, “sooner” on one would have been early last week and not early this week so it needed to go, and I also needed to order more checks.

Did you know that Monday was Columbus Day? And that the feds don’t work on Columbus Day and neither do bank employees? If the Shrubment is really serious about saving energy and money they would either cut way back on the federal holidays that the federal employees enjoy, or make sure we all celebrate them – because it would add to the number of days the powers that be would not be having to heat and air condition our office buildings, for example, during the month of February, no one would be at work, it would be one giant federal holiday for us all. The Feds work a grand total of about 3 days and not in a row during the month of February, why should the rest of us slog to work everyday. Think of the savings! Three day weekends for all! And if I didn’t have to go to work Monday, I would have known that they didn’t have to go to work either and I would have saved both money and gas.

Anyway. I was dissed on both my errands. I came back and broke open my lunch. Oddly, even after all that time it was still okayish. I ended up in the break room, where lo and behold, no one else eats lunch, at least not during the lunch hour so I was able to eat my now five day old lunch and read my book in peace, hiding behind the Pepsi machine.

On Friday, I pulled away from my drive way and noticed that the people across the street had a lot of trash out, and that most of it was not trash. I also noticed the house was strangely dark and all the blinds were open. My neighbors have left and where ever they are now they don’t have their mattresses, the baby’s highchair, their grill they used a lot and several large plastic wheeled toys. By the time I got home the grill and highchair and the toys had migrated across the street to another neighbor’s house. The kids didn’t have a chance to say good bye to Dogger and they really, really liked Dogger. They were her very best kid friends. They really adopted Dogger after their dog either ran away or was given away after it ran away too often. I came back from vacation and the dog was gone I guess while I was lining up people to cover me at work while I was gone I should have been lining up someone to do Dog duty and keep an eye out for him.

Dogger and I are both sad to see them go. They lived there a little under a year; I know that because the oldest little girl asked me if I was going to hand out Wendy’s coupons at Halloween again. I asked another set of Doggers Friends and they said the kids were with their Father and Grandmother. No word as to where their Mother is. I really am going to miss the kids across the street; they translated the Tiny Boy for me and kept him honest. Now I’ll never know if his tales of chaos are true or recaps of Grand Theft Auto , trust me, you do not want a four year old with plastic hand cuffs to read you your Miranda Rights .

No comments: