Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Priorities

I got kept awake last night and for once it wasn’t the Kitty’s fault.

It rained

A lot. Loudly. All. Night. Camp Knotty Pine is much closer to the sky than I had remembered. I kept waking up to the sound of hammers on the roof and it took me a few times being woken like that to understand what was going on. Kitty was not happy either; every time I woke up I noticed he was awake too and not on purpose. He was looking at me like I could do something about the situation and that perhaps this could be remedied if I put food in his bowl.

And it is still raining. Or at least it was the last time I went outside, but from what I can see out my one remaining unblocked window, it still looks kind of rainy. It’s been a long time with out rain. They had put all these water restrictions in place, mostly having to do with lawn watering and car washing. Under the drought protocols we could still water our lawns but only 12 hours a day... Washing your own car in your own driveway could run you a $1000 fine. Paying some business to wash your car for you would only run you the cost of the wash. I see the fine hand of a car wash lobbyist at work here. They were also threatening us with four minute showers – how they were going to monitor that was not announced. They never said anything about how many loads of laundry I could do guilt free each week or how often I could run the dishwasher. Drought amateurs.

There is a lot of water outside. I kept wondering why the cars going past my office seemed so loud, I found out when I left for lunch. The cars were making a lot of noise because they were having to drive through the new lake in the parking lot. I was a little afraid that Mini didn’t have it in her to make it through the water like the truck had been able to, but she did it. Aw, Mini is an SUV and didn’t know it, Go Mini! Next week I think I’ll take her off roading. I don’t think anything will cool the SUV Nations ardor for destructive off roading like the sight of a minivan churning up the ecosystem and destroying the environment. Maybe Bono can give me an award or something for coming up with that.

I think they should have ads of little minivans chortling across the Serengeti and wiping out sand dunes. I think there is a whole lot of nature exploiting images that could be used to market Minivans and aren’t being used. It’s a shame. I think it would be possible to jump off a cliff and into a minivan and then tear up the desert, just like in an SUV. Car commercial writers are sexists – woman want to destroy stuff too, damn it! And we want to destroy stuff in our Minivans on the way to pick up our 2.5 blond, WASPy children at soccer practice or dance class. Hrrmmph.

Completly different topic

My goal for this evening is going to be making the front entry way presentable. This will require a dumpster or failing that, an industrial strength paper shredder. I don’t even get mail everyday and yet the entry way is carpeted with direct mail circulars. I am getting all kinds of pre-need crap from the pre-need industry and I blame AARP for that. You tell the AARP to go to hell and take their membership card with them one time and they put you on a list. I should have just thrown the damn card away, it would be tidier than the flood of "pre-need" post cards and mailings they are sending me now as punishment for what I did do with the card - Perhaps I should have just returned it to them with a note instead of tearing the card up, burning the remains, and than soaking the ashes in Holy Water before I sent it back to them. The AARP really needs to talk to a someone about their ongoing anger management issues.

No comments: