Monday, November 21, 2005

The Raleigh Christmas Parade - "Happy Whatever Applies to you"

My plan for the weekend was to set an alarm, get up early and hop out of bed and get to house cleaning! I set and alarm, got up early, hopped out of bed and got to the 61st annual Raleigh Christmas Parade.

6 of 1...

I immediately highlighted my first timer status by not bringing a chair and having to sit on the curb like a toddler. A cold toddler. I was glad I was there early though because there was all ready a good sized crowd.



Finally, it got started. First up, not surprisingly, cops and solders.



The paper said there were 38 floats in the parade. There may have been 38 groups marching, but these guys were the only one that brought their own "float".



Everyone else shared the same tarted up flat bed with a white Christmas Tree. I didn't get a picture of it because after the 25th time I saw it, the mere idea of that seeing that flat bed again made me want to nod off.I had plenty of time to nod off, what with the constant 10-15 minute pauses between bands/drill teams/flat beds gave me plenty of time to rest up between sightings.

There were bands. After 22 of them played martial versions of Jingle Bells, I was shocked by martial Black Eye Peas.



Along with the tarted up flat bed and the marching bands we had the traditional wee drill teams and roving bands of clowns.



Then we had these guys



I understand how hard it is to get men involved in the Church activities, men are hard to come by and churches have had to get creative about getting them interested and but do we really need to get them involved with Para Military groups?

We had marching Librarians,



And nothing says Merry Christmas! like marching safety cones!




And I bet that your Christmas parade didn't feature live chickens



And finally, The Big Kahuna, the guy we were all waiting for!



Darth Vader!

I had been there for three hours, it was cold and I was ready to go. I saw a guy in a red suit and I made for the door

No comments: