Thursday, December 15, 2005

The Forrest for the Free Trees

I was driving home the other day and when I reached my street I saw all these little flag things decorating the yards as I drove along. Someone had come along and stuck flag things in our yards. Oh Goody! Are they going to bury the power lines!, I said to myself. Than I started to think as I got closer to the house that maybe they were going to give us sidewalks like some of the other streets have and I thought that was pretty all right too - that lead me to They are so not going to give me shit about where I put my leaf pile! . I started to think about other things that go on the edge of a yard, No! I don’t want a mail box! I want my mail slot to stay where it is! I want to go through my junk mail in the privacy of my own home! Oh this sucks! !@#$ postal service!.

I finally got to the house, and got out of the car and read the little flag. It did come from the city but it wasn’t the department I expected.

The City of Raleigh Neighborwoods program evaluated street rights of way in your area and determined that you are eligible to adopt one or more FREE STREET TREES! If you decided to participate simply fill out the detachable postcard and return it by the date indicated. You must agree to plant the tree (s) where we’ve indicated by the flag(s) and water the tree(s) for two years.

I all ready have a tree. I am one of the few houses on my street with a tree. I think the other trees came down in hurricanes over the years and never got replaced after they spent a fall with out having to rake the yard. I can understand that. My tree-free neighbors also have much prettier yards then I do. They have yards free of dead grass, exposed roots and cracked walk ways.

I was intrigued though. I went online for more of an explanation of choice number 1, the Amur Maakia

Outstanding Features:
Extreme cold hardiness. Summer flowers, interesting bark.
Description:
Height: 12-20'
Width: 10-20'
Hardiness Zone: 3a
Amur Maackia is an excellent small tree that possesses extreme tolerance to cold winter temperatures. The trees are very attractive as the new foliage emerges with a downy silvery appearance. Leaves are pinnately compound. Mature foliage is a dark green. It flowers in mid July. The creamy white flowers are borne in upright racemes, 4-6" long. Bark color is a greenish-brown with a patchy appearance. It is a member of the legume family. Very uncommon in the nursery trade due to its slow growth as young plants.
Requirements and Culture:
Adaptable to a wide range of soil conditions, but prefers a well drained loam soil. Tolerant to a range of soil pH conditions. Needs full sun for best development of form.
Limitations:
No serious insect or disease problems. Tends to grow slowly as a young tree.


I also found a picture of it. It’s small and a little scraggly looking but it does have flowers and I like flowers.




The second choice was The Japanese Zelkova

Mature Height (ft.):40-60
Spread (ft.): 30-40
Growth Rate: Moderate to fast
Exposure: sun
Flower:Small blooms in spring (not showy)
Fruit:¼ inch twin seed, hinged in middle (similar to Elm seeds)
Color:Medium green, yellow / light red in fall

Good for landscape and street tree use, the Japanese Zelkova is tolerant of wind, moderate drought, a wide pH range of soils, and pollution, once established. Its durable wood and attractive bark maintain winter interest. It may be used in urban areas preferably with well-drained, moist, deep, fertile soil, as a lawn tree or in parks. Its fall color is bronze-red.


Posted by Picasa


I’m not sure I am feeling The Japanese Zelkova .It gets very big and I’m not entirely comfortable with another very big thing being eligible to fall on my house during a storm. I’m not thrilled with the tree I have now for that reason and I live with the specter of my neighbors ancient enormous oak tree hanging over me as it is. I do not need an 60 foot tree.

So, if I do send my post card back it looks like Tree 1 will be the winner. I read further

If you are physically unable to plant a tree, we can provide a volunteer.

I AM PHYSICALLY UNABLE TO PLANT A TREE
or
I WOULD BE WILLING TO HELP A NEIGHBOR PLANT A TREE

Oddly,

WHILE I AM PHYSICALLY ABLE TO PLANT A TREE I AM NOT AT ALL INTERESTED IN PLANTING THE TREE MY SELF BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO WATCH SOME ONE ELSE PLANT THE TREE FOR ME OR THEY COULD PLANT THE TREE WHILE I AM AT WORK. EITHER WAY, WHATEVER WORKS FOR YOU.

is missing as an option...

No comments: