Thursday, January 19, 2006

Healthy Fare

Dear Employees:

Your agency wellness committees have planned an exciting wellness fair for employees on Wednesday, January 18, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Haywood Gym. I will be there at 2 p.m. to talk to you and the media about Healthy Weight Week and our DHHS Wellness Initiative, and at about 2:15 p.m. I will lead a half-mile health walk on campus. I hope you will join me.

The wellness fair is a kickoff event for our wellness programs. This is an important opportunity for employees to learn more about improving their health and wellness and about the increased workplace support to help employees who want to become more active, eat healthy foods, quit tobacco, and manage stress. At the fair, employees can sign up for campus walking clubs, participate in dance and exercise classes, take a health assessment, sample healthy snacks, and learn about one-on-one resources available to help in quitting tobacco and developing a personal wellness plan.


We could start by getting rid of the designated smoking areas?

Our department is strongly committed to creating workplace policies and environments that promote and support employees in making healthy lifestyle choices. We are working with agency wellness committees and the department's management team to provide all employees the opportunity and time to engage in more healthful behaviors during their workday.

By allowing smoking on campus?

I look forward to joining you at the health fair next Wednesday.

Sincerely,


Wow. I didn’t know I was supposed to stay for an hour. I can’t imagine what I would have done for an hour. I mean once I filled out not one but two surveys about what I would like in our vending machines – answer, “I would not eat Moon pies if they were available and I would not care for vending machine bagels”. Twice. I did pick up some nice freebies



1 blue Frisbee
1 wild berry muffin
1 green highlighter
1 10oz bottle of bottled water
1 lunch sized bag of baked lays
1 package of snack wells cookies
1 water Mellon fruit snack bar
1 apple
And a teeny, tiny bottle of hand sanitizer to clip to my key chain


I also drove to the fair this time. I would have walked had there not been these pesky 30 mph winds that we’re having. The 30 mph winds being a vast improvement over the 45 + mph winds we were buffeted with Tuesday night. All night. Wind is loud. Wind getting trapped in a carport is even louder. I lay there for most of the night and waited for my roof to peel off, or more realistically, waited for the drug dealers’ roof to peel the rest of the way off. Eventually, the wind died down or at least it started to rain harder and the rain took over the sound effects responsibilities for the remainder of the evening. It was fun.

By this morning, it was pouring and of course, my paper was late again. I complain and complain and my paper is late 3 days out of 7 but he seems to specialize in being late on days when it rains. I’m waiting for him to figure out that if I am out there waiting for him in the morning, it means he is late and I have all ready called to narc on him. I know for a fact my paper is supposed to be there at 5am and I wouldn’t care at what point between five and six he got there as long as I wouldn’t have to keep going out there to look for him until 6:30. Arrrggh. The last paper guy used to throw it on my porch; this guy likes to play hide and seek with me. I’m not playing, if I can’t find it, it wasn’t delivered and I don’t care if you can see it from the street - the paper is where I can see it or it isn’t there at all.

No comments: