Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Who will,who should and who did
Golden Globe Winners 2006

(blankety, blankety blank "network problems".)

I was going to do a long scholarly analysis of the Golden Globe (TM) nominees until I looked at the handy insert that Entertainment Weekly provided and after a brief study period I learned that of the nominated 32 films and the 30 TV shows nominated that I hadn’t seen any of the movies and watched only 2 of the TV shows. (scroll down for complete list of winners)

I’m not familiar with any of the TV actors or the shows they are on, I would say as a fan, Hugh Laurie should win for his category and so should Jason Lee and My Name Is Earl. But. Even though I am not at all familiar with any of the other shows or actors or have any desire to become so, I do have opinions. Completely merit-less, but opinions on them non the less. So. My thoughts on who should win what. This is being written at 3pm, Monday the 16th. I will also post who actually won. I watch these awards shows so you don’t have to.

Best Film/Actor/Actress - Drama

Will Win - Brokeback Mountain. Gay shepherds are so hot right now. I don’t care for westerns, so no matter how trendy gay shepherds are, I’m not going to go see it.
Should Win - Good Night and Good Luck . There is some chance I will actually go see this. I love George Clooney..

Best Actor

Will Win - Heath Ledger, Gay Cowboy movie, for “being so brave” Vomit.
Should Win - Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Capote or David Strathairn, Good Night and Good Luck. PSH is excellent and the best actor or his (my) generation, DS because of my Clooney love and I want him to be rewarded for being a good Democrat and a proud Liberal.

Best Actress

Will Win - Toss up, Gwyneth moved to Europe on purpose and the HFP is European so that may go in her favor, but Proof did no business and no one saw it. She may give good interview, though and that would help her cause. Two actresses went ugly for parts, Felicity Huffman for Transamerica and Charlize Theron for North Country. This is CT second trip to the ugly well, - she has all ready won for going ugly, she may lose points for ugly hoarding.
Should Win - Felicity Huffman. I feel sorry for her being stuck on DH when she should be on a better show with a better cast.

Best Film/Actor/Actress Musical or Comedy

Give it up for The Producers!! Woo-Hoo.

Moving on.

Best Actor

Will - Joaquin Phoenix, because River Oded before he could be properly awarded. Don’t look at me like that.
Should - Cillian Murphy so the HFP can feel all superior because they saw Breakfast on Pluto and the rest of us didn’t even know there was a movie called Breakfast on Pluto.

Best Actress

Will -

Gawd. Who am I kidding? This is making me tired. I could care less. Okay, deep breath...

Okay.

Will - Judy Dench
Should - Judy Dench

Best Supporting Actress
Will - Scarlett Johanson for being 21 years old and not being anything at all like Lindsey Lohan.
Should - See above.

Best Supporting Actor
George Clooney for Syriana


Okay, skipping five or six or seven music and TV categories I don’t care about.


Best Actor, Drama

Hugh Laurie

Best Comedy

My Name is Earl

Best Actor, Comedy

Jason Lee.


Who Did Win

Best Film Drama - Brokeback Mountain
Best Actor Drama Film - Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Capote
Best Actress Drama Film - Felicity Huffman, Transamerica
Best Supporting Actor Film - George Clooney !!!, Syriana
Best Supporting Actress Film - Rachel Weisz
Best Film Musical or Comedy - Walk The Line
Best Actor Musical or Comedy Film - Joaquin Phoenix
Best Actress Musical or Comedy Film - Reese Witherspoon Walk The Line
Best Supporting Actor TV - Paul Newman, Empire Falls
Best Supporting Actress TV - Sandra Oh Grays Anatomy
Best Director Film - Ang Lee Brokeback Mountain
Best Foreign Language - Palestine, Paradise Now
Best Screenplay - Larry McMurtry, Diana Ossana Brokeback Mountain
Best TV Drama - Lost
Best Actor Drama TV - Hugh Laurie !!! House
Best Actress Drama TV - Geena Davis Commander and Chief
Best TV Comedy - Desperate Housewives
Best Actor Comedy TV - Steve Carell, The Office (great speech)
Best Actress Comedy TV - Mary Louise Parker, Weeds
Best Mini Series TV - Empire Falls
Best Actor Mini Series - Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Elvis
Best Actress Mini Series - S. Empatha Merkerson, Laackawanna Blues

No comments: