Monday, February 27, 2006

Learning Curve

This weekend instead of walking the dog I took the time to learn about what you can and can not launder.

For example, you can launder your winter coat. This is easy. It is dirty, you put it into the machine and viola and it is clean . It is very nice. On the other hand, your shower liner is dirty, you put it into the washing machine and viola, it is in pieces. Actually, it is in shreds. You should learn from my mistakes. Some things that are mostly plastic, like a winter coat for example, are perfectly washable. Other things that are plastic, like a shower liner for example are not.

I had no idea that so much of my shower liner was not washable. I would have thought that something built to be wet most of its life would not shred in the washing machine. I would have thought that in the washing machine the shower liner would have found sho0wer liner nirvana. Sadly for the shower liner it found shower liner hell.

Now that I have no shower liner I need a new shower liner. Maybe one that is not so given to I don’t know, falling apart when it gets wet! Did you know that shower liners do not like to be wet? That for some reason, while they are made of the same basematerial as rain coats and winter coats and umbrellas, that shower liners are not set up to be wet? It was a shock to me as well. I thought since they had shower in their name that perhaps they might have some attributes that might make them somewhat water tolerant. I did not know that having “shower” in the title was only an honorary thing - I mean I know that “Dr. Breaks” doesn’t really hold a degree in breakology... But really!

I now know the truth about my shower liner: my shower liner was really a table cloth that ran away from home to escape the family business and tried to turn its back on who it really was.

I went to Wal-Mart to buy a new shower liner. I didn’t cheap out and get the $2 grocery store “ I started life as a table cloth” version, I went to an actual shower curtain liner isle in the bathroom section and splurged on a “heavy weight commercial grade” shower liner! With little suction cups to prevent leakage, I went hard core on this. According to the blurb on the wrapping, they promise that my new shower liner is the next best thing to slapping a bunch of maxi pads to the back of my shower curtain. There should be no leakage and my bathroom floor will be able to wear white shorts whenever it wants to! and will never, ever have to have any self conscience about those “not so fresh feelings” the other lesser curtain obviously suffered from. This shower curtain is commercial grade and it comes with enough anti-bacterial mojo that I won’t have to get a flu shot for the next three years.

I also learned that the next time I want to wash my shower liner I will not use Clorox, I will limit myself to plain detergent.

What else did I learn? It is getting light much earlier in the morning than it has been. Like at 6:15ish it is light out. By 6:45 it is very light out. If Dogger wakes me up early all I have to do is shriek at her and she will stop her work, at the very least she will stop what she’s doing long enough to forget what she was doing in the first place. The Kitty however, does not stop what he’s doing when I shriek at him to stop. He does not recognize shrieking as a form of communication and he most certainly does not pause from his work to see what I am upset about. I think he processes shrieking as cheering.

No comments: