Wednesday, February 1, 2006

Voting with the VCR

So, did y'all watch the POTUS do the SCOTUS? That sounds kind of dirty, actually.

I prepared in advance for that numb nut to take over my TV for the evening. I have a random Bravo show, the most recent American Chopper and Monday nights TNT rerun of Without a Trace on deck to get me through the evening.

Before FAUX started to mess with its schedule, Tuesday nights were very, very good to me. I had Bones and House and briefly some lawyer show to watch on Tuesdays. Now House has been off for so long I can’t remember why I watched it in the first place and they moved Bones to Wednesdays. NBC decided I didn’t need to watch Bones anymore and needed to concentrate on better cop shows, they moved Law and Order to an hour earlier up against Bones. That makes sense though, because now I can watch CSI – New York in real time instead of having to tape it and watch it later. I guess I can tape Bones but I think its’ going to be the death of it unless they move it back to its old time frame. American Idolatry sucks.

My poor little VCR hasn’t worked this hard since I stopped watching my soap opera way back in the day. I was going to set something to tape the other day and I had run out of pre-sets! How do I need to tape that many shows? I mean, really! I looked and it turns out I’m taping several hours of Miami Vice reruns – I’m not going to stop what I’m doing to watch it in real time, come on, I do have a life. I’m also taping Without a Trace tow separate times a week, it comes on at the same time as E.R, it’s going to be taped, it also comes on at some ungodly hour on TNT Monday nights and I’m not going to stay up, so that’s all right too – but those shows are like four separate presets on the VCR. I can’t even think of what the other presets are for except that when I was shuffling through them, they all made sense to me and didn’t seem at all crazy or bordering on the obsessive compulsive.

Speaking of Obsessive Compulsive. How about those Oscar ™ nominations?

I still haven’t seen any of the nominated movies but I still feel qualified to comment on them as if I had seen them due to my years of experience in the film industry - If you count three years working at a movie theatre concession stand and being a register monkey at a video store for a year as "years of experience in the film industry" and I do.

Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role Philip Seymour Hoffman - Capote

I vote for Philip Seymour Hoffman. He’s always good, he does all kinds of parts and he an actor who should have been rewarded by now. He is not a celebrity, he is an actor. Hollywood needs more like him and fewer like Colin “Lucky Underpants” Ferrall.

Performance By An Actor In A Supporting Role George Clooney, Syrianna

I love George Clooney* so I vote for him. I feel bad for Paul Giamatti but what would he do if he won? I think half his shtick is that he gets passed over and besides Cinderella Man? If Brokeback Mountain winds up sweeping, it’s going to go to Gyllenhaal anyway. (* Clooney got three nominations for his films, if he doesn't win for his behind the camera work I want him to win for acting, if he does get rewarded for his behind the camera work, I want Paul Giamatti to win)

Performance By An Actress In A Leading Role Felicity Huffman - Transamerica

I vote for Felicity Huffman. If she wins maybe she can ditch Desperate Housewives and move on to scripts and casts more worthy of her.

Performance By An Actress In A Supporting Role Frances Mcdormand - North Country Rachel Weisz - The Constant Gardener.

Did Frances McDormand win for Fargo? Because otherwise, I vote for Rachel Weisz, because she’ll say something nice about perennially over looked Ralf Fiennes.

And so far, it's 9:07pm Tuesday night and so far, no POTUS.

No comments: