Wednesday, February 22, 2006

We do not live in Virginia

It didn’t snow. They all but promised we were going to be for snow and nothing happened. All weekend I kept waiting for the snow to start and it didn’t. I even went out and panic bought dog food! It did end up snowing but it snowed on Virginia. I want a refund.

I mean, I hate the after effects of snow, the traffic, the kids being out of school again, the general bitching of how hard we all have it now that the ground is white instead of green - but over all, I like it when it snows. It makes everything pretty. The local weather guys were all very excited about the snow. They started last Wednesday telling us that the snow was coming and we were all going to die. No, really, every time there is any weather on the way more advanced than partly sunny skies the local weather guys start to prepare us for Armageddon! Folks, we want you to be ready for this weather system; it’s going to be a big one. We are forecasting the possibility of clouds! We may very well encounter some overcast weather and we want you to be ready.

Hurricanes come through and we are updated minute by minute how we are most defiantly going to get the full force of the storm, regardless of the fact that it is aiming itself at Mexico and no one east of Houston is even going to get rain out of it - we are all going to die.

In the weather guy’s defense, we do get Hurricanes here and it is always best to be prepared for them. It is important that we stock up on milk and bread in case we lose power and there is no other way to defend our encampments except for our caches of spoiled milk and our stale bread reserves. We also buy up all the C batteries so we can tease our cats for entertainment; gawd knows flash lights aren’t the ideal light source for the long run. When I lost power a few years ago for four days, my flashlights were not the biggest help. I was like an inept cat burglar in my own home. Its wonder they manage to steal anything of value by flashlight light - I had a hard time telling the difference, consistently between my own shoes and the cat. My radio was going to be my friend but it used D cells because no one else was panic buying D cells so I didn’t think I needed them – I was a storm newbie; So after the first day or so I ended up cold, in the dark and with out anything to listen to except the wailing of my sump pump telling me over and over for hours that the power was still off.

We do need winter though. I need a hard freeze that lasts for at least a week to make sure that the little buggy things that live in my basement die off.

Nasty Beasty Posted by Picasa


Nasty Beasty Facts

It has been so warm that the beasties are turning up again and I want them dead. I think a few days of snow and ice would kill their young – I really hate those bugs, they look like a cross between large spiders and even larger crickets - where is Shrub? These beasts are evil and they take over my basement for months at a time and I want them all dead. Kitty does what he can but these monsters can be bigger than him and I don’t want to go down there one day and find bits of fur all over.

Those beasties would do it too. I (and Kitty) need a good killing freeze to add a little environmental population control into the Nasty Beasty world, at least for a while. They could survive a direct hit from a nuke, the house wouldn’t but they would find a way. They would be there, gently glowing in the dust that was my house, but still there.

No comments: