Tuesday, April 25, 2006

This was supposed to run on 4/24 but got Bloggered

Operation Fat Cat

I was eating dinner the other night and out of nowhere my main course disappeared! It was there and then it was gone. I was eating BBQ brontosaurus ribs and watching MASH reruns and I glanced away for moment (Oh, that Hawkeye!) And the little monster picked a whole rib up and carried it away.

Over the last week or so The Kitty has been making sorties toward my dinner plate. He never used to beg from me and all of a sudden he’s skipped right over the begging for food and straight for the taking of food! He never was in the habit of begging at the table and now all of a sudden he’s blown past Oliver Twist style pleading and gone right for Robin Hood style taking

The food stealing started last week. It started small, so it was kind of cute. Little pieces of turkey, maybe I looked away for a moment and when I glanced back there was a paw on my plate. I didn’t kill him because he wasn’t after my dinner, he was after the scrapes. I should mention that Dogger has never done this, begging at my plate or stealing scraps. Dogger also doesn’t know that I eat and I don’t think she cares. As long as her bowl is presented to her twice a day she could care less about how I fill my daily nutritional needs.

But back to The Kitty. It has been my experience over the last year or so that if The Kitty eats anything other than the magic kibble, that The Kitty will have a bad outcome. The Kitty was eating bits of my food all week and there was no bad outcome - not yet, at least, not from the bits. The more food The Kitty eats and keeps the more weight The Kitty will gain back and the better off he will be. I’m all for that.

The comment was made that since The Kitty can tolerate bits of turkey that I should make turkey or chicken available to him. It was also suggested that I cook for him: I do not cook for myself. If there is going to be boneless skinless chicken breasts cooked in the house they are going to be cooked by and for the household biped. So. Where else can you get chicken that is all ready cooked? Well, you can buy lovely chicken all ready cooked from the supermarket. True, but The Kitty doesn’t know from lovely chicken and does not need to learn. The Kitty licks his own ass - a well seasoned chicken would be lost on him.

Where to now? There are canned meats! You can buy tins of chopped up chicken! It’s edible! It smells like chicken! and it even looks more or less like chicken! Yay. He has eaten a smallish can of it over the last day and seems fine so far. But that can was a lot more than the bits and pieces that he and his lower GI have been tolerating. Even if he and his lower GI are in favor of the canned chicken he can’t go off his magic kibble all together because even the cheap jack magic kibble I buy has some vitamin content that he can’t get from straight chicken and his magic kibble can sit in his bowl all day if it suddenly bores him.

No comments: