Tuesday, April 11, 2006

What’s that sound?

What a beautiful day!

An evol law firm that does business with my office finally sent us a check! And a big check at that. They haven’t bothered to pay us for services rendered for, literally, years and there in my in box this morning was a check. A nice check. Not all they owe us but they paid us for something! Never say never.

Second reason it is a beautiful day. I linked to this yesterday but it bears repeating ; 500,000 people marched in Dallas! The cops low ball estimate was 350,000! Do you know how big a crowd that is? Dallas is not a city that encourages marches. Demonstrations in Dallas tend to be limited to the run of the State Fair and then are largely restricted to demonstrations of new push brooms and cleaning solvents. I saw the story and looked at the pictures and I was so proud of those people. I hope somebody is listening.

Now I have a question. Where is the NAACP in all this? I would think that they would be all over this. The issue is at its heart a civil rights issue and I would imagine that the NAACP would be active participants in anything that supports the rights of minorities in this country. I went to their site and found this, which is great, they do not approve. Super. They shouldn’t. I would think that this would be a great time for them to broaden their membership rolls and remember where they came from; “colored” people are not just “black” people. I went to the site thinking that something about the rallies would be mentioned – and there was nothing but the brief release linked to above. Shouldn’t the NAACP be concerned a bit? This would be a great way to be relevant beyond holding endless conferences. HR 4437 is pure institutional racism and I thought the NAACP was all about shinning a light on and stomping out all forms of racism. I would think that of a return to institutionalized racism would really get their attention.

Does LULAC and the NAACP have some sort of agreement to not poach each others demographic ? Is that a smart idea?

What else.

The Kitty has a vet appointment on Wednesday and I really hope they don’t tell me he has cancer. The best case scenario is that they tell me that he is just getting older and the weight lose is a product of aging and all I need to do is feed him more. I think this is a pipe dream, the “aging” answer would be less pipe dreamy if he was eleven or twelve or was an outdoor cat. He’s eight and he has always lived inside, he has a life expenctancy of 18 years. He’s too young to be showing signs of ageing. There is also the specter of Diabetes which would also answer the weight loss question. He isn’t unduly thirsty though, he is very hungry. He will eat anything and will snatch things right off my plate if I don’t watch him carefully enough. He never even used to beg from me and now if I don’t stop him he will just take things off my plate, over the weekend he tried to take my baklava! And it isn’t even very good baklava! And normally he shows much better taste than that. He didn’t care; he just wanted to eat “it”, no matter what “it” was. “It” was on the plate and it looked like food and he wanted it.

He will eat his kibble but only if it is absolutely fresh kibble, if it has been sitting there for more than 10 minutes (literally) he won’t eat it I’m wasting a lot of cat food having to dump out what he won’t eat and the world is full of food wants but can’t eat.

No comments: