Thursday, May 11, 2006

Better Too Late than Not At All.

I noticed yesterday that the time change has made me lazy. All winter long I raced home to walk the dog and get my chores done ASAP. I wanted everything taken care of and taken care of now. The idea being that if I got everything taken care of as early as possible I would have more time to do whatever because obviously, “whatever” is deeply important and can not be interrupted by chores.

The upside of saving time for “whatever” was that I never looked at the clock at 9:45 and asked myself “Did I make my lunch yet?” because I would have made my lunch hours ago and at 9:45 , I wouldn’t be thinking about chores anymore. I would be thinking about taking Dogger out one more time before I curled up in bed and watched TV. The only chores I would have left to do at 9:45 would be to turn on the alarm and turn out the house lights.

But dayum. Following myself around with a whip was exhausting. I mean, after a long day it’s nice to sit down and relax. I don’t have anyone else to take care of – neither animal is going to wind up in therapy some day because I watched Landscapers Challenge instead of dealing immediately with their needs- I know for a fact that my lunch bag isn’t going to call and complain because I filled it at 7:30 instead of at five.

But back to the time change. It stays light so much longer that I just kind of lay around so much longer than I did when it was getting dark at 5pm. Darkness really lights a fire under me, chorewise. It’s like its 5:30! It’s dark! I need to bath Dogger! Do the laundry! Fix my lunch! I need to get all things done right now!. While in the spring and summer it’s like I’m going watch TV for a while. Dogger can hang in the yard for a while. She likes that. Have I emptied the Kitty’s box? It’s still light, I’ve got hours. Maybe I’ll bring Dogger in and feed her now; she doesn’t want to go for a walk while it’s so hot. We can go later..

I’m so much less efficient then I was before. I just do not have the over whelming urge to hit the ground running. I don’t see why I have to have my tomorrow’s lunch made before I have fully digested today’s’. But. But. The later I make lunch the less I care about what goes into it. Last night when faced with late night lunch making I was not as careful; as I could have been in my choices

Me – Oh, this looks good, I can just put these leftovers in and be done with it.

Smarter Me – Or, you could save that for dinner and take a sandwich instead.

Me – Well. That was fast. What channel is Boston Legal on?

Smarter Me – Don’t touch that! It’s for tomorrow’s dinner! Make a sandwich

Me - That would take longer.

Smarter Me – Maybe you should have thought about that earlier? If you didn’t want to do it properly now, you should have done it before.

Me – Too late.

Smarter Me – Just make a damn sandwich.

Me – Sorry. Can’t hear you over Boston Legals’ dippy- ass theme music.

Smarter Me – Come back here! That guy doesn’t look like anything like Blaine’s’ hot evol friend any more. Come back here and make that sandwich!

Me – Hmmm. You know, I could go to McDonalds instead…

Smarter Me – No! Gas is too expensive to waste it going out to eat. The leftovers will be fine. We’ll find something else to eat for dinner.

Me - Mmm. McDonalds.



Never would have happened if it was still getting dark at 5:30.

No comments: