Monday, May 15, 2006

Burden

While I was shopping for sandals this weekend I found I carry a terrible burden, I want to buy Champagne but have to do so on a Mad Dog budget. It weighed heavy on me. I’m not sure that everyone around me shared this burden, it was clear from the sandals on display that individuals thus burdened are in the minority. What was available was either lovely but extremely over priced or cheap and tacky as hell. I think that is why poor people get stuck with shoes that either look like cartoon versions of real shoes on one end or some sort of wearable confectionery disasters on the other. Hootchie Mama's are the only ones that come out ahead. It may be hard out there for a pimp, but his hootchies could have their pick of reasonably priced six inch fuck me pumps in a plethora of colors, shades and styles. Nice leather flats? $72, six inch hills with maraboo feathers, silk flowers and enough spangles to bring Liberace back? $15.99.

It is hard out there for a poorish person with taste! Pimps do not know from how hard it is out there! There are furry orange sandals on every corner! If you are in the market for a pair of tasteful sandals you are going to be SOL and if you have enough time to really sift through the available sandals - you may be able to find something in the Not Tacky division, even something really cute, but you will pay for them. A lot, $72 for a couple of straps of leather and a sliver of wood.

Lovely, yes, worth the price? Not so much. The price shock alone is the kind of thing that can make you decided to just stick with your mukluks and hope for a cool summer. If the cost of sandals weren’t enough, there were over priced flip flops to make me feel my burden as well. Kate Spade should be ashamed of selling tarted up flip flops for $68

Finally deciding that that my burden was not going to be lifted on this trip and I was not going to find the one true sandals, I gave up and went to the sale section. I knew I wasn’t going to find sandals, but I might find next years mukluks. It’s never too early to be in the market to find good mukluks. The winter is long and the wind is cold and the toes are fragile and given to falling off. There isn’t any such thing as sale priced sandals in May but mukluks on the other hand go begging as soon as pedicure seasons starts.

Mukluks


The mukluk selection wasn’t very broad and the fur lined flip flops I had to choose from were less then inspiring. I did however find the light weight “dress” sneakers I have been looking for, not the color I had envisioned but, for $17.00 I decided I could deal with blue. I thought I was done with shoe shopping and went to the front. I took a wrong turn and lo and behold! Teva to the rescue . They aren't really cute but exactly what I had been looking for! Burden lifted!!

No comments: