Wednesday, May 17, 2006

More with the A/C

As I am sitting here, I am not hot. I am even, feeling a bit of a chill. I know, me, too, I'm shocked. The chiller outside is also not running all the time either, which makes me think it may finally be working correctly. Or not.

I got my hopes up this morning because as I was driving into the parking lot I noticed there was a veritable flock of A/C repair trucks bunched up around the building. I was so excited I stopped by my managers' office to tell her about it. I do not stop by her office, ever. I could be dieing and I would keep going as to not stop by her office. I could be dead and if I died in front of her office she would put a subpoena in my hand and tell me they wanted it ASAP. She is the font from which all subpoenas come and I have made it a practice to never slow down in front of her office. But, but today there was the hope of A/C and that was almost worth the stopping at her office.

She dashed my hopes and told me they had been there Monday as well and we were still hot. Today we are less hot.

I survived my five year anniversary. Yay. I got a memo from personal telling me I am now going to receive 11.10 hours of vacation time a month up from 9.5 hours a month. There won't be another increase in my time until my 15th year. That seems not fair. I got a bump at two years and now one at five and not another for ten years? that seems draconian. I noticed my fancy new computerized time sheet does not reflect the change. Of course.

Instead of the more vacation time as a fifth anniversary gift they could have given me? Reading those, actually, I think the extra vacation time is fine. I don't really want a wooden salad set or a framed anything from them.

Tomorrow, everyone who is everyone and quite clearly not me will be out of the building attending a computer show. No one in this office does anything with computers other than use what is on our desks so it really isn't clear to me why everyone who is not me is going to the show. It's not like we get any say in the computers or the programs or the software. I think it's just an excuse to get out of the building and stock up on free pens and mouse pads. I like free pens.

I'll get my revenge though; next week is the Raleigh State Employees Health Fair. Woo-Hoo!! Free pens and blood pressure screenings for everyone!! And even better? Its way, way, way off campus! Too far just to pop over during lunch and they really want us to go

A REMINDER that the Raleigh State Employees Health Fair is next Tuesday, May 23 from 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. at the Jim Graham Building at the State Fairgrounds. Attached is a flyer announcing the fair. There are over 100 vendors and great raffle prizes offered as part of this event. ($1.00 "Raffle Tickets" for 2 Grand Prize tickets to Carrowinds; 1st Prize - $500 gift certificate to Lowes; 2nd Prize - $200 gift certificate Sun Trust Visa; and 3rd Prize - $199 Gas Grill.)

Also attached is a letter from Secretary Odom encouraging DHHS employees to attend the fair. Please read the Secretary's letter and note the support in the letter for employees to attend this event.


If the 2006 verson of the "fair" is like the 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002 versions,most of the venders are chiropractors and personal injury lawyers and vitmain hucksters. There isn't a lot of health there but, hey, free pens!.

No comments: