Monday, May 1, 2006

No Dogs

I have this list of things weekly chores that I try to get done over the weekend, for example - mow the lawn, do the laundry, pick out clothes for coming week, empty/fill dishwasher, dump trash, put out recycling. You know, the regular.

I’m doing well so far. The lawn is mowed. Have you ever noticed that when its still cool outside it takes almost no time to mow the lawn and in fact, it’s almost a pleasure to do it? You can mow the lawn on a whim “Hmmm. You know what? I think I’ll mow the lawn!”, and there is no recovery time. You mow the lawn and then maybe put down some fertilizer and then go to the store or whatever else is on your list; by the time you get back from the store, you may not even remember you mowed the lawn. In July though, by July, mowing the lawn is a major undertaking. It takes forever to mow and after you finally finish you realize that you have practically blown the whole rest of the day because your clothes are soaked, you’re hot, you’re tired and you want to die. You do not want to fertilize because you don’t want to make it even harder to mow. It would be like giving comfort to the enemy. It had better rain because there is no way you’re going to go out of your way to help that mofo out. Stupid yard. And you can forget about going to go to the store or starting on the laundry. You’ve just mowed the lawn damn it, you need to take a shower and lie down for a while.

But it’s still spring. I got the laundry done and then took Dogger for a walk. Dogger had all ready spent a good bit of the day outside, but I decided it was time for a little Diana-Dogger bonding so we went for a walk. I decided that the weather was so nice that we were going to go downtown

I had noticed on Friday that they were setting up tents in Moore Square and I imagined that they were getting ready for one of the many art sale/festival things they have every year. “Yay”. I said, “I’ll try to remember that and maybe I’ll go by there”.

So I did. It looked different then an art festival. Mostly by the number of port o’ potties on site.



And the fence.

There was a damn chain length fence all the way around Moore Square. On that chain length fence was this



They don’t put fences around fests and I don’t know the last one that prohibited dogs. Weapons, yes, but I never saw any with posted signs saying “NO”. Dogger and I followed the fence around looking for a sign of what was going on behind the fence. I had heard that Haliburton was building detention centers around the country, but damn, in a public space like this? Liddy Dole and that Burr guy are really pro-detention but I had no idea they could just decide to take over a public park like that! I was starting to think I should dye my hair blond and stay out of the sun, just in case. I knew they were evol but I thought Raleigh was a little less so. Wow.

Turns out it wasn’t a Haliburton -RNC detention camp for the less blonde. It was a “Beer Fest”. Many bottle blonds, some blonde beers.

No comments: