Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Two weeks notice

My office lights are off but there is this rather large conference room/bull pen area right outside my door and those lights are still on and it is not helping my headache. I think they could turn those off for me – I mean, after all there are windows and it is sunny out and I think it would be a lovely gesture if they were to turn the over head lights off and do whatever they need to do in the not-really-all-that-dark. It would also save energy.

I wonder if it would be an option for the rest of the building to turn their lights off. My head hurts and it would help me out tremendously if they would agree to turn their lights out as well. We still do not have A/C and while it isn’t especially hot inside or outside today for that matter, and there is only minimal discomfort being suffered by one and all – if they would just turn their lights off out of solidarity with me? They do it when it gets hot - I know I would feel better if they would be willing to sit in the dark for the rest of the day. I would sit in the dark for them and I have! I have walked down the hall in the dark and it was dark!, I could have hurt myself and did I get mad and turn on the over head lights because it would suit me better? I did not! I put their comfort first. They owe me.

They could save energy and aid in my pain management issues. It would be a win-win for me and them and the country in general – they would be doing their patriotic duty and helping me out! win-win-win!

I went to the doctor to solve my headache problem and he agreed that it was a prescription related problem and that new glasses would help solve my problem. He also wanted me to get light sensitive lenses that change color but I am just vain enough to not want to walk around looking like a geek. If I were to wear those I might as well start carrying around a brief case and buttoning my shirts all the way to the neck and wearing highwaters - because that’s what the well dressed geeks do. They wear light sensitive lenses and carry brief cases and I am having a very strong High School flashback now and… Ew. There is no cool way to wear sunglasses or glasses that appear to be sunglasses indoors. You are either one of the geeks I used to see in the halls at school or Max Headroom or poser or an Olsen twin or a poser dating an Olsen twin and who would want to look like any of the above? But if I were an Olsen I could afford to pay someone to have my headaches for me! A headache surrogate! That would be nice. It could become a new job field. If there are women who are willing to go through the agony of childbirth for a check, people would be lining up to be head ache surrogates! I would be creating a new job! I would be helping the economy! I would not have the headache and I would be adding to the economy! Win-win!-win-win!

What would really stop the headaches would be my new glasses. I am getting new glasses; I picked them out and everything. Did you know that if Lenscrafters can not do your prescription in an hour it could take as long as two weeks? Yes, two weeks. Two very long weeks. Two very long and very bright weeks with no certainty that co-workers will agree to work in an over head lights optional work place weeks.

I told the girl at the Lenscrafters, jokingly, not to rush the job. I said “Oh, take your time! I’m good with anything short of two weeks!” of course I was joking! . What I really wanted to say was “Oh, take your time! My TV show doesn’t come on until 10pm, we still have forty minutes! Don’t hurt yourself making them. I can wait”, forty minutes!!.

No comments: