Thursday, June 22, 2006

Double Bubble

Almost back to real life, er, real work and I’m not done making copies yet. I just checked the final request to see how much exactly I was going to have to copy and to my horror, it’s a lot. Like a lot a lot – not as soul crushing a lot as the last two requests but mostly only because there aren’t any others waiting behind it.

Of course, my real work is piling up. All the correspondence, routine filing, files that need to be boxed up, paper clips that need to not be on the floor… all the stuff that allegedly I get paid to do. At some point this week I am absolutely, definitely going to go to archives and get rid of a lot of stuff I’ve requested over the last few months and while I’m there pick up my new boxes for the purged stuff – which is piling up and much in the way. I only had to ask three times before I could get the stupid boxes ordered. How many times do I have to ask “Please call XXX and tell them I need 75 letter boxes? I will pick them up”, I really think three is tow times too many but it’s not my call. Really, I literally can not call and make the order myself, even though I am the one that uses them and they are my thing.

Whatever.

It rained earlier today. I of course wore a white blouse today and I should have known that Mother Nature would see that as a taunt. I did not go home to see if my ceiling was further damaged – I’m a happier person when I have time to prepare myself for seeing bad things. I can spend the whole afternoon in crises mode or I can spend the day not in crises mode and then go into crises mode later when I can actually spend all my available time stressing over it. Bitching and whining at work is just looking for sympathy and other than a chorus of “Poor You!!” and the attendant validation of my self pity -, it is not helpful. On the bright side, it didn’t rain for very long so hopefully nothing happened. I am going to go bang on the roofers’ door to see where he was this weekend and light a fire under him to get my roof looked at. His is still being worked on but I would be a paying customer.

Because it is all about me. The rain also fell on his not-actually-shingled roof as well.

Did you watch Rescue Me last night? It was a very strong episode. Perhaps not one that would be the most welcoming to new viewers but a strong episode non-the-less. I saw an interesting mind set on a site I go to when I went to go lurk in the Rescue Me forum there.

In this weeks episode there was a sexual encounter, that could go either way actually, there were three questionable sexual encounters all wrong for different reasons with three different people left variously victimized. The biggy was very violent and very raw and very disturbing. It was not pretty and many posters were very upset about it – keep in mind in the Rescue Me world no bad deed goes without brutal punishment. Tommy will suffer for what he did. If My Name is Earl runs a karma concession stand, Rescue Me is the corporate parent.

Two weeks ago Tommy beat the living shit out of his brother. It was a horrible beating. It was also very violent and very raw and very disturbing. It was also not pretty and the posters thought it was “AWESOME”. Violence against a woman is greeted with the pearl twisting and vows to never watch again!! while violence against a man is greeted with applause and cheering. Somehow I don’t think that is a good thing or healthy or even right. No one regardless of gender deserves to have violence happen to them, even fictional, not at all real characters living in a pretend world. Screw you, PC-police, double standard having TWoP posters.

No comments: