Monday, June 5, 2006

Shop Girl

Saturday I went shopping with a very short list. I was in the market for blue slacks and the new Dixie Chicks CD. I was partially successful. I did end up with the CD.

Of course, the search for slacks goes on. I can’t believe that standard issue blue slacks were some sort of Dallascentric clothing item. I remember racks of them in stores! Blue pants are blue pants, something I thought that everybody had as part of their work place wardrobe. Everybody needs a good pair of basic blue slacks. You would think.

No. Instead “everybody” needs a good basic fuchsia, turtle embroidered crop pants. Things like that? everywhere. But you know? I don’t think I have ever seen anyone wearing fuchsia crops pants embroidered with turtles. Oh, I know why - it’s because I go to work everyday and most people, even in my office with it’s more or less anything goes dress code, nobody wears slacks like that. I wonder why? Hmmm. You would think there wouldn’t be a big call for that item in a wardrobe. But oddly, there it was. Many, many , many of them. No basic blue slacks though.

After much looking around I did find two pairs of basic blue slacks, of course, neither fit. Baby bear was not happy. I found another pair that I was very excited about until I noticed that it laced up the back. Interesting, but a little too interesting for everyday wear.

So I got ready to leave Marshals, but not before I looked around a little. I found a new table cloth I didn’t really need, but it was on sale, and a slightly over the top gold, pseudo-Italianate oval mirror that I also technically did not need but that completes my long on hold decorating scheme for my bedroom. The mirror was not on sale, but it was there, it was under $30 and I was tired of looking for oval mirrors. Mirrors one and two cost me a combined total of $8 and one of them I rescued from the trash. I had planned on finding mirror three and spending a similar amount but it was not to be. Anyway. I left Marshals and went to where I was sure I would find something in the basic category. I went to Target, home of basic.

Basic must have left home because it wasn’t there. I did find the Dixie Chicks CD that had been one of the two things on my list before I went shopping, so I got that. I also found a book I wanted that I had been seeing at the grocery store for $7.99 and was too cheap to get it for that price. Screw you Kroger and your over priced paperbacks! Target is my friend. So, a table cloth, a mirror, and a book - not on my list and still no blue slacks.

I was going to leave Target and go to Kohls because Kohls is also my friend. The stupid traffic pattern decided that I was going to go home instead. Grrrr.

Going home meant that I was going to hit the Lark Spur Party on Saturday instead of Sunday. Which was fine with me. I went I saw and I bought three morning glory plants to camouflage/cover up my ugly back yard so the nice neighbors can pretend it isn’t there. Grow plants grow!. We’ll see how long it takes Dogger to discover them. In an attempt to thwart that behavior I went to the dollar store and picked up 16 feet of el cheapo garden fence to protect my new plantings, I also picked up a 17 quart cooler to thwart the hurricane season - with the idea being that if I am prepared for the power to go off for an extended period, it will not. It was kind of a relief to go to a store and actually find the fencing. It was making me oddly paranoid to not find what I was looking for in places it was supposed to be. To reward the store I also bought some batteries and a box of poptarts. Still no blue slacks.

No comments: