Thursday, August 24, 2006

Holding On

I woke up this morning with an odd tune running through my head I was trying to figure what it was and whether I should be singing along with it. Time passed and I got to work it slipped my mind and I forgot about it.

It was hours later and I heard it again. We just got a new phone system and we don’t know how to use it properly yet. We’re getting better but we make mistakes. None of us for example can check our messages with out broadcasting it to the rest of the office. It can be done, I’ve done it, I’m sure that some one checks their messages without sharing it with the rest of us, but it must be few and far between. So periodically someone pushes button A before pushing button B and presto, silly music BadaBad Dumdum Dada Duh Duh.

The tune I had in my head this morning was our hold music.

It’s not a bad tune. I just wouldn’t want to spend too much time with it. It has made me leave people on hold for less long than I did in the past with the old no hold music phone system. The thing is, while I have mastered the putting on hold part, I have not yet totally figured out the taking off of hold part. I hit the button and pick up the receiver and nothing happens or I end up calling who ever called me last. The secretaries hate me. I can never remember if I’m supposed to pick up the receiver and then hit the button or hit the button and then pick up the receiver. Lately I’ve just been putting the phone down on the desk. It’s very low tech but it gets the job done. I think a little thunking noise is a better than being stuck on what could very well become terminal hold. It also has the added effect of letting the caller hear me actually working to answer their question. As I said, we just got this system. It’s hard. It has all these bells and whistles and it’s scary. It remembers stuff! It keeps track of what numbers you called and what numbers called you. It doesn’t tell you who those numbers belong to, but it’s still kind of cool.

Anyway.

I’ve been on my little beta blocker for a whole month now, well, almost a month. I dropped on of the pills early on and never found it. The pills are tiny and white and it disappeared in my sink.

Among the pulse lowering and blood pressure stabilizing qualities of the little white pill, is the delightful side effect of putting a kibosh on headaches. I get a lot of headaches or I did get a lot of headaches. I don’t now, haven't.I do have one now. Ow.

No comments: