Tuesday, August 8, 2006

One of those daze

Any light at the end of the tunnel just went out

BP shut down the biggest oilfield in the United States today after finding "severe corrosion" in Alaska's Prudhoe Bay pipeline. The shutdown could send gas prices to a record high, said industry analyst Tom Kloza. "Prices are likely to rise 3 to 5 cents a gallon for the next few days," he said.

I was going to go by the post office at lunch today but a few stories like above made me decided that I needed to put gas into Mini closer to now instead of later. The chances of the post office isn't going to up the rates between noon and when I get off. I mean, it could happen but they usually at least make the request in writing and give a few weeks notice before they pick our pockets. I hadn't heard of any rate increase from them. They could wait until after work.

I felt like a real consumer stud. I paid "only" $2.89 a gallon. That is .02 less than I paid last week. I checked Raleigh Gas Prices.com and went on my merry way.

RGP wanted me to go to a station across the street from my Sams Club. I decided, being the loyal Sams Club member that I am, that I went by there first to check how they were priced. $2.92! Usually they are cheaper then the guys around them. I was really hurt, I should have known when they weren’t mentioned on RGP, but they aren’t always. They have no sign that can be seen from the street so the don’t always get mentioned. Those price gouging bastards! I took off out of there and went across the street. Actually, I took off out of there and drove a mile and a half down the street in the opposite direction before I could turn around. I was so intent on the One True Gas Station and getting there, that I totally missed the Shell station with the same $2.89 per gallon price! if I had been in the correct lane I could have hit that station and been on my way but no, I was in the far left lane and couldn't get over. I was pissed. I finally got to the turn off and went back a mile and a half to the "right" station. Sigh.

I didn’t have the heart to look at the bill. I just don’t want to know. I pay my plastic bill every month with my eyes closed.

Hours later I went to the post office. My post office is directly across from a federal court house. Today at the federal court house were many, many TV trucks. They weren’t there because my visit to the post office was such a newsworthy occurrence, even in Raleigh my visit to the post office is hardly worthy of TV trucks.

The trucks were there for a bad man. Why is this being done in Raleigh? Isn’t this the sort of thing that should be done in a more important place? This guy is a war criminal, isn’t there a special place to produce nice big show trials for these people? Like a Nuernberg? These folks need to be punished and we should all have to watch.

No comments: