Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Radio Shaft

Shafted

FORT WORTH, Texas - Radio Shack Corp. followed through on its announced plans to cut about 400 jobs, but the electronics retailer has been forced on the defensive about its method of notifying laid-off employees by e-mail.

"The work force reduction notification is currently in progress," the notice stated. "Unfortunately your position is one that has been eliminated."


I worked at one of their stores for a while and it was the worst job I’ve ever had. My boss was a low functioning alcoholic (granted not their fault directly, but he needed help and they could have done something about it); the products were cheaply made and grossly over priced. I stopped trying to sell Radio Shack merchandise to our customers after I realized that they could buy better quality versions of the same products for less next door at Target. The PTB also micro-managed the stores to the point it was maddening to work at one. I also hated the 7am Saturday morning employee meetings that were never at the store I worked at and I had to drive my alky boss to these because his license had been pulled for DWI.

No comments: