Thursday, August 17, 2006

Time

It’s interesting having to keep track of my every move, for eight hours a day I know exactly how and where I was and how I have spent every minute of the day. What was I doing at 9:36am? Well, let see. I was filing single page filing between 9:25 and 9:40, so at 9:36, I was most likely standing in the “B” section, most likely at the end of the “B”s, because I file from the back of the alphabet first. With out my new best friend the activity log, I wouldn’t be able to tell you that, now hours later. Normally, I would have no idea what I was doing at 9:36am other than “I was at work”. Thanks to the activity log I can say “I was at work and I was doing the single page filing”. Wow.

I am also trying to not be as smart ass with the times. I am going to not continue with the five minute increments. I think that it is the kind of thing that might be construed as being a bit snotty. I mean, I think I could argue that I was trying to be as specific as possible but I don’t think they would buy that. I think that if I was being a bitch and asked someone to do an activity log and they were doing five minute increments, I might think that I was being subtly made fun of. Or not at all subtly made fun of. I would hate to come off as insubordinate.

Today my sentence, I mean day just chugged by. It seemed like it was just 7:30am and I was mailing something and then the next thing I knew it was 7:50 and I was filing something. Wow. The time just flew.

The secretaries helped me keep my log moving a long by kindly giving me some back filing. Back as far as February! Normally, I pick up correspondence daily. It looks good, you know, to file that stuff everyday, it’s kind of something I strive for. Since I do file everyday it was not fun having to dig through seven months of correspondence to file those letters.

Last February, I picked up many, many letters to from and about the facilities - all things to from and about 35 facilities in February. A kind of correspondence photo of the facilities and how they were doing - like when were we there last and what did we find when we were there, and while we were there finding things, how did we decide to help them help themselves? Did we fine them? Direct them to hold in services? Threaten them with termination? IN February, March, April, May ... I really cared! In August, I hardly remember we were even in the building and while that paperwork wasn’t there, I looked as though I didn’t file it! I’m sure I have all ready looked bad because that shit wasn’t there. I don’t need those letters now, I needed them in February! Today is August and I have been picking up August paperwork for the last sixteen days. I imagine the secretaries will get me the rest of the August correspondence sometime in October. It killed a couple of hours though and I was able to log my activity and I looked very active.

No comments: