Friday, October 20, 2006

Them v. Us v. We


I came home to a pleasant surprise yesterday. My New Yorker subscription finally arrived. I had started to think my $7 paid to a shadowy back Internet ally character on ebay may have been for not. I mean, for $7 you expect at least some sort of service.

I did hear from the guy several weeks ago but that was only because I had rudely not left feed back for him - I usually don’t do this until I have my order in hand. I all ready have to pay a head of time, I don’t like to give feedback for something I have yet to be fed.

The seller grudging admitted to finally having sent off my subscription – a good month after I put in my order. The yutz. I knew there was going to be a pause in my subscription starting but I had no idea it would run into the months, I had tried to run down the seller but the sale was so long ago it wasn’t turning up in my ebay page. The wanker.

But, happy days are here again, I have my magazine.

My Entertainment Weekly started back up a lot faster but it seems to arrive later and later each week. I’m pretty sure that it is supposed to show up on Friday, not Tuesday or Wednesday of the following week. It bugs. The one thing that Entertainment Weekly has going for it is timeliness. I like my trashy showbiz gossip to be at least moderately fresh. I need to know what the status of Vince and Jen’s relationship is and I need to know now. Well, I don’t need to know and I wouldn’t even know they had a relationship except that I spend entirely too much time waiting in line at the grocery store and Us Magazine seems to cover little else. Who are they kidding with the “us” thing? It’s not us they are covering, its is Them that they cover. The better title for the magazine would be Everyone but Us. Jen and Vince and Jen and Ben and Angelina and Brad are most assuredly not “us”. But we don’t buy glossy magazine to find out about “us”, we aren’t that interesting. They are.

Okay. Back to Me.

Dogger finally got back to the dog park. She was really glad to back with her friends. She was thrilled to see the other dog people and found a willing partner dog to play chase with the whole time we were there. The other dogs owner came over and apologized to me because his dog “made” my dog bark at it. I told the guy, "look, as long as our dogs aren't tearing each others throats out I could care less if they're performing selections from Wagner, it's all good. I was sitting there after the guy and his dog left, thinking I should have said: "your dog "makes" my dog bark? Yeah. My dog just about never barks. She prefers to communicate through interpretive dance". Whatever.

Speaking of Dogs. Nephdog has officially entirely left the building. On Monday Dogger finished up the left over food he bequeathed to her when he died. Sigh.

I’m going to whine ahead of time about the time change happening. I have really gotten fond of leisurely coming home, changing clothes, putting Dogger out and being able to just sit and watch MASH and read my mail before I have to walk Dogger. I really don’t love having to run home and hurry to change clothes and rush to get Dogger out. It’s just not a great way to wind down from work. Damn seasonal changes.

No comments: