Thursday, October 26, 2006

Warm hands, Warm heart

I noticed something the other morning while I waiting for the car to heat up: I was waiting for the car to heat up.

I was cold! it was cold! all ready! I don’t want to be cold yet! It’s not supposed to be cold for a while yet not until the fall. Cold is a winter thing and I don’t want it to be winter. If I was cold it means winter which means the holidays which means New Years which means a new year! I’m not ready! This cold business is jumping the gun a bit I think. The leaves haven’t changed yet and there are a lot more green things than brown things so it can not possibly be winter yet. We get autumn here and it isn’t autumn yet. It’s still late summer. Kind of.

But I was cold... and by the time I got to work I had forgotten all about it. But then the next day dawned cold too. This time I said to myself "Damn. It was cold Yesterday too! I forgot. I should have remembered to dig out some gloves last night! Brr. I'm cold Wahhhh".

My hands were cold. I can take care of cold hands! I have a wardrobe of gloves, one year Santa brought me about a half a dozen pair and while at the time, it seemed like a lot of gloves, in time it turned out to be the exact right number because it was years before I needed any more and I always had the right glove for the right job. Did I need a nice black pair? Kind of slinky but still warm? Yes! I had those, did I need a pair of blue knit gloves in the right shade of blue? Yes! I had those too! How about a dressy pair? With kewl faux fur on the cuffs! I was a glove having woman. I never had to not have gloves. I had one coat I wore to work and it always had gloves in the pocket and one coat I wore for casual wear and it always had gloves in the pocket, It was a secure feeling.. I always had gloves in my pocket.

Then.

Then I moved here to winterland. I all of a sudden had as many coats as I had pairs of gloves. Black coat, black gloves, dress blue coat, dress blue gloves, other blue coat, other black gloves, tan coat, black gloves, brown coat, back up pair of blue gloves, other pair of back up blue gloves, black mittens. And I was still adding to the heard., I bought a red coat and it came with red mittens.

And then I met Dogger.

With Dogger came daily walks, with daily walks came daily run ins with the twin glove stressors of Doggers leash and Doggers sharp puppy teeth. Puppy sharp teeth and knit gloves with the addition of the rough leash, should not have “run ins”. The puppy sharp teeth are going to win and what they don’t tear up the leash wore down. I started to lose gloves.

And now its winter again ( sigh). I’m down to my dress gloves and two pairs of mittens. This was not going to be a good winter. So, today I went on eBay and for $4, made it a good winter:

No comments: