Monday, October 30, 2006

Weekend

I’m going to talk about the whole Village People Halloweenpoloza, but I’ll do it tomorrow on ya know, Halloween.

When did weekends turn into forty-eight hours of errands and chores? I thought about that while I was running up and down the stairs to do the laundry and cleaning the bathroom and emptying the dishwasher. I spend the whole week looking forward to this?. I mean TGIF and all but damn, Yay its’ Friday!! Wooooo! I get to rake the yard! Woo-Hoooo!

My whole weekend was spent moving from one chore to the other. Do the laundry, clean the bathroom, do the grocery shopping, run errands, rake the leaves, mow the lawn, wash the dog and when you finished with that, carve the pumpkin, don’t forget to take the trash out and deal with the recycling and walk the dog.

I recognized that every single person over the age of about 19 does all of this and more every weekend and I should whine less but dayum.

You know I was actually kind of disappointed to wake up Sunday morning and find it sunny and warm and glorious. It mean because “Wow I can now do all those outdoor things!!” I have been able to avoid because it’s been raining and or cold for the last couple of weekends. I really didn’t want to mow or rake the yard. I thought I could get away with a just little light raking but some of the leaves where way up at the “top” of the yard and when I tried to rake them to the curb they just sort of spread out and made the yard look worse than before and it was taking a long time and seemed to be taking way more energy to complete the task then it really needed to ... so I decided that what I really should so is just mow it - another job I have been happy to not do while it was raining.

I have to say though, mowing the yard when its coolish and there is a nice cool breeze blowing is a much better experience than mowing that same yard when its 95 degrees and calm. I think that it is mostly due to the lack of sweat getting in my eyes. Dealing with discomfort bordering on pain does make you complete the job with a song in your heart. Even though the weather is nicer for mowing, I can’t wait for the neighborhood yard man to finally throw in the towel and give me a break. I might pay him though to scalp the yard for me, he has a really good lawn mower that doesn’t seem to take it personally when he lowers the setting. Mine hates it when I touch it like that. I suck at scalping the yard anayway, and it takes a while to make sure all the wheels are on the same height and the mower is level. I never do it without ending up with a few weird yard circles from the uneven, unbalanced blade - oddly no UK UFO seekers have come to check them out. It always appears to me from the street, at least that the circles are at least visible from the moon.

No comments: