Wednesday, November 1, 2006

November 1


So this is the time change. Who exactly needs it to be that light before seven in the morning? I mean was their a questionnaire sent out? Did I miss a memo or something? I have to say, I was getting a little tired of it being so dark that I was thinking of investing in a bite light so that I could actually find the key hole in my door – I find being able to lock the door makes for a more secure home environment – that and the burglar alarm and 100 lb dog, but it all starts with a locked door.

But I was okay with it. I could deal with the darkness. I liked it. It was restful.

Now? Now I am not happy with the darkness. Please don’t tell me that we revert back to this for the benefit of farmers or school children waiting at bus stops – because that would so very much annoy me. There must be some modern reason we do this. I can’t think of any reason why we should not stay on daylight savings year round. Is it important that it get dark at 5pm? Is there a vampire lobby that is exerting way too much influence over our government? And has for generations? Wait, don’t answer. I don’t want to know.

Dogger was very excited yesterday when I walked in the door after work and almost immediately walked out the door with her to go to the park. Dogger was at first really thrilled but she looked around and didn’t find any of her little dog friends and spent too much of our time there plunked on the ground next to me, fortunately, on of our friends arrived soon after and Dogger got her little exercise in. It is really going to suck though in a few weeks when it’s going to be really dark really early. I’m not sure I’m going to be able to get home, change clothes and get Dogger out the door and to the park in enough time. In years past I have driven her to the baseball field and we usually got a good half hour or so of running around in. I’m hoping we’ll be able to get the same time in at the park.

My old dog walking buddy finally surfaced the other day. I hardly ever see him anymore since I abandoned Doggers daily walking routine. I found out he and his nice dog are moving back to South Carolina some time in November. This makes me sad. I made a batch of dog cookies last night and I’m going to walk Dogger after work to his house and try to drop the cookies off. They are a new flavor I’m experimenting with: “Meat Loaf drippings”. I’m hoping it will be a big hit in the “hunks of cheese” vein. Dogger taste tested them last night and she seemed to like them but Dogger seems to like everything and she may not be the best test subject. I’m pretty sure I could make her tin can flavored dog cookies and she would think those were swell too.

Tonight in lieu of more experimental dog cookies, I’m going to get to experiment with pilling Mini Kitty. I can’t wait! Mini Kitty hates me and won’t let me get closer than about a foot from her without drawing blood and making noises that would make the sound effects guy from The Exorcist blush.

I can totally see how she is going to be thrilled with the whole pilling experience and will no doubt turn over a totally new and previously unknown co-operative leaf as soon as she figures out what I am trying to do. It’ll be great.

I’m thinking of a dart gun to sedate her from a distance and then, maybe some four point hard restraints for when she wakes up and discovers she’s been had, and then the witness protection program for Kitty, Dogger and I for when she gets loose.

No comments: