Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The contractually obligated Oscar (tm) prediction entry 2007


Best Picture: "Babel," "The Departed," "Letters From Iwo Jima," "Little Miss Sunshine," "The Queen."

As much as I like Brad Pitt in Oceans 9, 10, 11, 12, 13... I don't think he adds much to the projects he picks. Babel no doubt made Ang happy, and put her in contact with all those priced for sale lovely third world children but it didn't do much for anyone else. I would bet the picture had more budgeted for the craft service than for then the combined budgets of Cate Blanchets last four films. So a big no for Babel . I really liked Little Miss Sunshine and I want to see The Queen and I will totally Netflix Letters - they weren't made by Scorsese and since he isn't going to get one himself, they will award his movie, despite the fact it is another cops and bad guys taking turns telling each other to fuck off before they shoot each other. Oscar goes to: The Departed

Best Actor:- Leonardo DiCaprio, "Blood Diamond"; Ryan Gosling, "Half Nelson"; Peter O'Toole, "Venus"; Will Smith, "The Pursuit of Happyness"; Forest Whitaker, "The Last King of Scotland."

How much do I hate it that I don't like Forest Whitaker! I used to!, now. meh. Will Smith, you know most fathers just go to the kids soccer games and help out with science projects. If Jada had made this movie, it would have been made for Lifetime. If he wins it will because he didn't for Ali . Peter O'Toole ? I kind of want Ryan Gosling to win because out of nowhere I totally don't like Reese Witherspoon, She showed up at the Golden Globes looking like Katherine Helmonds' character in Brazil and all of a sudden, I don't like her anymore. I'm reasonably sure that this is Leo's year, bad accent and all. I'm not really ready for The Best Actor going to anyone younger than I am but unless Peter O'Toole pulls it out... Oscar goes to Leonardo DiCaprio

Best Actress: - Penelope Cruz, "Volver"; Judi Dench, "Notes on a Scandal"; Helen Mirren, "The Queen"; Meryl Streep, "The Devil Wears Prada"; Kate Winslet, "Little Children."

I saw The Devil Wears Prada and I liked it but I didn't see an Oscar caliber performance. The word "Volver"? I don't like it. Kate Winslet doesn't make bad movies but she also doesn't make movies anyone goes to, someday she will morph into Judi Dench - who is no doubt her awesome self in Notes on a Scandal, but I think I'm going with Helen Mirren. Oscar goes to Helen Mirren for The Queen.

Supporting Actor: Alan Arkin, "Little Miss Sunshine"; Jackie Earle Haley, "Little Children"; Djimon Hounsou, "Blood Diamond"; Eddie Murphy, "Dreamgirls"; Mark Wahlberg, "The Departed."

Shit. Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch together again. Jackie Earle Haley hasn't been on screen since The Bad News Bears go to Juvie Alan Arkin was fun, but like The Devil Wears Prada, it wasn't Oscar caliber and besides, if they wanted to laud LMSS, where is Greg Kinnear? And who is Dijmon Hounsou? Eddie Fricken' Murphy? When was the last time Eddie Murphy took a role where he wasn't hidden under six inches of latex? The man must have a hard time watching himself on screen - much like the rest of us. Which was why Drreamgrils was such a revelation. Eddie Murphy can act, do you think Dreamgirls could convince him he may be an actor? or throw him back into the arms of his prosthetic boobs? Would a win cause him to never make another "Eddie Murphy is the cast of Fat Mama Goes To The Zoo?" . Well, Norbert opens in a couple of weeks. So. Two guys the voters have never heard of, Eddie "Mother Fucker" Murphy, Markie Mark? Oscar goes to Alan Arkin for Little Miss Sunshine.

Supporting Actress: Adriana Barraza, "Babel"; Cate Blanchett, "Notes on a Scandal"; Abigail Breslin, "Little Miss Sunshine"; Jennifer Hudson, "Dreamgirls"; Rinko Kikuchi, "Babel."

Why can't they just establish a "Best New Talent" or "Best New Comer" catagorie? Clear out the kids and the first timers and leave the catagorie to the professionals? They don't nominate boy children for Best Supporting Actor.

Blanchette is too good this category and doesn't belong in with the others,Breslin was adorable but... , I didn't see Babel so I can't comment on Ms. Barraza or Ms. Kikuchi. I did see Dreamgirls and I think if they don't give it to Blanchette for being a good, solid, talented, life time Actress, they will give it to first time plucky singer-actress Hudson for playing a plucky singer. Oscar goes to Jennifer Hudson for Dreamgirls


Directing - Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, "Babel"; Martin Scorsese, "The Departed"; Clint Eastwood, "Letters From Iwo Jima"; Stephen Frears, "The Queen"; Paul Greengrass, "United 93." Oscar goes to Stephen Frears for The Queen.

Costume - "Curse of the Golden Flower," "The Devil Wears Prada," "Dreamgirls," "Marie Antoinette," "The Queen."

The one thing I didn't like about Dreamgirls was the costuming. Every one of them looked like they were wearing costumes. It wasn't subtle either. Oscar goes to The Devil Wears Prada

Documentary Feature - "Deliver Us From Evil," "An Inconvenient Truth," "Iraq in Fragments," "Jesus Camp," "My Country, My Country."

With no Holocaust films in the running, It's a toss up between Jesus Camp and An Inconvenient Truth . Oscar goes to An Inconvenient Truth.

No comments: