Thursday, January 4, 2007

Learning is fun…

My desk broke again. More precisely, the whatchamacallits that allow the drawer thingy that my keyboard rides on to slide out from under the top of the desk, broke, the little metal whatsists that hold it up lost their screws. I fixed it the last time but then the whatsists were still attached to the desk itself but now they are not. I am holding the whole thing up with my knee and it is not comfortable. I think OSHA should be concerned.

If I should get up from my desk I have to leave my chair pushed up close to the desk so it can somewhat provide support for the listing drawer thingy so that the side of the drawer thingy that is still attached is not adversely effected and bent permanently out of shape by being forced out of shape by the unattached side. I see it bending under the strain and I don’t see that as being a positive outcome for the drawer thingy.

See, there are these things, flanges maybe? And they hold the gizmo that slides back and forth on the little thingy so that the drawer can go under my desk – which for me is not the most convenient place for it because it makes me sit further back from the screen than I am used to and it seems to be negatively affecting my all ready not good posture. It’s an ergonomics issue and state employees don’t have ergonomics. We have workers comp and medical leave.

While I am sitting here being not comfortable, I am waiting for someone to come and teach me how to order office supplies. I don’t see how we are going to do this as the program that you need to have loaded on your computer in order to order office supplies – is not loaded on my computer. I received a flurry of emails this morning concerning this deeply important tutorial and one of the emails had the phone number to the magic office where the elves live that service the magic supply wizard are stored so they can pass out the passwords to the service. The pass words are so magic that they can not be emailed, they must call the wizard in person to get the magic word. I did this and went to the magic wizards supply site…

My magic word had all ready expired.

So. I have no magic word, the magic program is not installed on my computer and the elf that is supposed to show me how to use the magic program hasn’t shown up yet. I fear that when I told the elf that I leave the office promptly at 4:30 that she heard this as “Show up at my office at promptly 4:30”.

My knee hurts.

Well.

I completed my office supply ordering tutorial. That was fun. Find the thing you want to order, decide how many of the thing you want to order, and then you order your order. Very high tech. Very online. I feel so 2003.

I was feeling so high-tech and progressive that I offered to solve the copy machine issue that had popped up while I was learning to push buttons and scroll down. Copy machines suck! I was really getting into a post-millennial place and I got pulled back to 1987. I hate that. I went from scrolling and highlighting to digging around behind the paper drawer with a ruler. A ruler that only managed to get part of the offending piece of paper out of the maw of the machine - ineffectual and left nasty green ink on my hands – so twentieth century! Gawd!

No comments: