Friday, January 12, 2007

Mission Possible

How was your day?

I was having a ahrd time deciding what I was going to do for lunch, I knew I had to be at the rally after work and might want my camera but at the same time, I've been to these before so I ahve pictures of rallies. I didn't know I was going home to get the camera until I was half way there. The plan then was to grab the camera bag and light out for the Burger Yucky near campus and eat my lunch and read my book - albeit in a truncated manner. I thought I had a chance.

The entire world would have to work together as one for me to achieve that goal. Office buildings full of people would have to collectively decide to eat at their desks, the monkeys who design and control the red lights would have to write new code to suit me and then once I was on the road, entirely by myself I would then have to go into my house and remain on task.

The whole world could join hands and sing a hymn about Coke and I would mess it up by spending too much time checking my mail.

Anyway.

It became clear as I drove up to the house that things were not going to go as planned. There was a hat in my parking space. I wasn’t going to park on someone’s hat. That would be wrong. So I parked crooked in the street. One of the Good Neighbors in his yard.Foiled again! This was going to throw the whole grab-and-run idea all to hell.

I stopped and talked to him about the roofing crew and what a good job cleaning up they were doing and while we were talking about that I noticed a very tiny dog running through the yards. I mean, very tiny. Like the size of a half grown cat. I also noticed it was wearing a coat - a leetle, tiny bomber jacket. And a collar and numerous tags. This was not your average loose dog. This baby was loved and well taken care of and somebody was looking for him.

The Good Neighbors’ wife was coming down the street after trying unsuccessfully to catch the dog. It did not want to be caught. It was free and it was not going to come quietly. I tried to catch him, the neighbors tried, the workers tried. It was very trying and the clock was ticking and I wanted to eat lunch. I decided if I was hungry that the Tiny Dog might be hungry too and the way to a dogs heart is through it’s stomach. I would get the dog a cookie and it would leap into my arms and stop all this running around nonsense.

It didn’t want the cookie.

Damn. Rotten beasty! Everyone loves Aunt Cookies’ cookies! I went back inside. While I was there one of the workers caught the little beast and had all ready called the number on Tiny Dog’s tags - Kleetices tags and come up with a bad number. Somebody involved with Tiny Dog had named him Kleetise or was named Kleetice. We didn’t know. I asked the neighbors if they knew anyone named Kleetise. No, no one knew a Kleetise

I really had to get back to work by now. I decided that while we had Tiny Dog in hand that we should do something with his tiny self. I went to the attic and pulled down the biggest crate I have. I took it to the yard and stocked it with a bowl of food, some water and a folded over towel, I then took a large piece of paper and wrote Kleetis’ name on it in hopes that if his Mother and Daddy were searching for him they would see the sign and rescue him. Mrs. Good Neighbor told me that it was a good thing I came home when I did. I told her I almost didn’t and she said that you never know what you mission for the day is going to be until it happens.

Time past.

I went to one of the rallies, Did you?



It was nice, about 75 people - don’t believe the press they came early and left fast, it might have been thirty for the 5 minutes they were there but it came to be 76 strong. We got a lot, (I mean many, many, many - Suck it Shrub!!) of very supportive honks, it was awesome. It was also cold and getting dark. It didn't matter to the old folks, the young folks, and even the little baby folks who came out to register their disgust with the Iraq War and the Bush Administration. If you didn’t go to this one or one near you, you should have.

Anyway. Back to the saga of Tiny Dog.

I left the rally at 5:30 to go take care of Dogger and The Kitty, I was sure Tiny Dog would be gone, gone, gone. I really hoped he would be gone, gone, gone.

Right. Tiny Dog was still there.

I had just brought Dogger out to pee when I saw a figure at the end of the street. She was calling for her dog! I hollered out if she was looking for Tiny Dog, she was! Another minute and I would have totally missed her. I had just brought Tiny Dog in and was wondering what I was going to do with his tiny self. If I stayed one more minute at the rally or futzed more with my mail, I wouldn’t have been outside and we would have missed each other.

Wow.

She was over joyed to get Tiny Dog back and I was over joyed to give Tiny Dog back.

I had a great day.

No comments: