Monday, January 22, 2007

Over the river and...

It was supposed to be doing some sort of “wintery mix” Sunday afternoon . Well. I went outside and I could hear it “wintery mixing” . So of course I took to the highways and byways to find Selma, NC .

I had directions. Those handy dandy online directions, so I had bad directions. On the first pass I followed the directions exactly. Imagine my surprise when the exit 306 I was supposed to be coming up on wasn’t to be found. It may have been the forest of exit 15, 16, 17's, but I felt reasonably secure that I was not supposed to be headed to Knightdale. Knightdale is not near Selma and I didn’t need to be headed towards it at 75 miles an hour. If You hold up your hand, Selma would be, um, Selma and Knightdale wouldn’t even be on the same hand! You would need two hands and then you would need a map to get you to Selma.. A better map than the one that got me headed to Knightdale, and I assume I would have ended up in Knightdale . Or not, the map was crap because at the very end of the directions was mentioned an exit 306. I wanted to trust this online map. I’ve never had one that was correct but I am always hopeful.

So. I did the whole thing again, you know, ever hopeful. I got myself turned back around went back to where I started and did the exact thing again - going with the idea that I had not followed the directions exactly, that I had some how subconsciously “done my own thing” and missed a turn or got into the wrong lane or something to cause me to have ended up in Knightdale. I didn’t want to blame the map for being faulty. I was going to take the fall.

So. The second verse was just like the first.

I decided to get myself home and give myself a break from this bad map business. I also had an idea. You know, fool me once...

Did you know Bravo ran a Studio 60 marathon yesterday? A min-marathon. Not all the episodes. Eight of them or something. Anyway. Should you want eight or so episodes of Studio 60, I have some. On tape. They could have shown all of the episodes but they needed the time to show a bunch of Law and Order -CI back to back to back but only like four or five of them because they can only show four or five of them. You can watch Law and Orderi reruns like forty hours a day or something, but it only comes out to the same four or five episodes repeated over and over again. Check local listings.

A couple of episodes later, I was ready to try to find Selma again. I knew I recognized Exit 306. Maybe I saw one of it’s movies or it was in Entertainment Weekly doing belly shots with Lindsey Lohan... I knew I knew exit 306! I didn’t see it going to Knightdale. I don’t go to Knightdale. I do go to New Bern and that was where I saw it. I didn’t need to go to Knightdale, I needed to go to New Bern.

Okay. I drove a half hour into the two hour trip to New Bern and lo and behold there was Selma.

Why did I need to go to Selma? Because I am going to Washington D.C next weekend and the bus is starting in Fayetteville and going to Selma. I can not go to D.C until I go to Selma

No comments: