Monday, February 19, 2007

Brrrrr.

I really wanted to sit and watch some random ski competition. But.

Snow is cold.

I am cold.

It’s cold here. Right now it’s pretty and sunny and it looks lovely, but it’s cold! That is so mean. Saturday it looked dreadful. It was cold and nasty and gross. But what you saw was what you got. Nature wasn’t trying to put one over on anyone like it was doing today. I’m a big believer in truth in advertising, if it’s going to be cold and nasty, I would prefer it to actually have the balls to be cold and nasty. Sunshine should be saved for actual warm weather.

I don’t like to feel guilty for staying inside - and I don’t normally, but ... staying inside while it’s sunny just makes me feel guilty. I would watch a movie, but I just can’t. I feel like I should be out doing something... but , if I do venture outside to “do” something, I hate it! I’m cold and sad and I want to go inside. Damned if I do, damned if I don’t.

I was watching the skiers and it was making my feet cold. It’s not a nice sensation. I usually like watching skiing, but I think I enjoy it more when I am warmer. I’ve been skiing for real and probably the only turn off about it, is the coldness. Even with layers of clothing and goggles and hats and massive gloves - You are always cold. You can’t do anything about it, if you are out playing in the snow you will be cold. I am sitting in my living room under layers of blankets and a hounded pound Dogger and just watching the skiers in the snow was making me cold.

I decided to turn to BBC America . Tara Bernard made me feel cold in a different way. I watched her for a good hour and she only designs spaces that require the home owner to don heavy outer wear before entering the room, I mean the bathroom was lovely but have you ever had to really use the john while wearing a ski bib? Maybe it’s a British thing. And speaking of British designers, a room that smacks of season three of Miami Vice is not “modern” design. Gah.

And the thing is, in a few months my house will be a sauna! I’m going to be hot for months and it will get that way over night. I’ll go to sleep wearing flannel and by morning I’ll be digging out shorts. If the world really loved me they would show skiing in say, July when my house is 8o degrees and I really want to feel chilled. They should show swimming or track in the winter. They could show reruns! I mean, who would know? The hard core track or swimming fans? If they really were all that into there sports they would be out training for them, not sitting on their athletic little ass’ watching other athletes compete.

Ideally, right now, I would like to see the skiers post-ski, swathed in flannel, maybe wrapped in heavy blankets, sitting around a nice fire.

No comments: