Friday, April 20, 2007

Bath Day

Yesterday was the official Support Staff Appreciation Luncheon. The real date for this falls next week but a couple of the big chiefs will be out of town on the officially recognized day, so we had it now instead of then. I kind of like going in there on the real day though because they have a buffet and the place is full of other Employee Appreciation Day groups so we look less like the help in from the fields for the day. Even so, I felt feel very appreciated and full. Very full. I needed a nap. I don’t know what the rest of the world eats for lunch everyday, but in my world they don't make prime rib happy meals, so this was a big day for me.

I also learned that there are ladies of a certain age who eat so regularly at the country club that their meals are prepared a head of time for them and left ready for them at their table. Our "Once a Year OMG Very Big Deal" is their “Thursday”. They were very old though.

It took a while for our food to be brought out and while we were sitting there making small talk about you know nothing because frankly, the chiefs and the Indians don’t really have a lot to talk about, our conversations every other day of the year being limited to “Do This” and “Yes Ma'am” . We use Ma'am a lot around this office. Everyone is Ma'am, except for the rotating group of no more then, but no fewer than, three men who are on the pay role at any one time, who are referred to as “Yes Ma’, um Sir” . We don’t see then often, and at any one time only one at a time is allowed in the building – to kill bugs and left heavy boxes. Yes, sexism does cut both ways… and all the men must be willing to be seen walking into a bathroom marked “Ladies”. It’s a rule.

We also refer to each other as “Miss Firstname”. It makes “Miss Diana” feel like a daycare lady. We used “Miss” at The Home too, but when we used “Miss” it was “Miss Lastname”, regardless of marital status. The men in the building are only referred to by their first names. We don’t call them Mr. anything. This is odd.

and my train of thought goes off the tracks….

Dogger had a bath Wednesday. Her first out doors bath of the season. It was a little cool, it was probably a little early in the season for the first outdoors bath but I also needed to water my new plants and I knew that if I didn’t wash the dog I was not going to take the time to water the plants. I’m lazy and I couldn’t find last years hose attachment – which could have seriously imperiled everything! Because if I didn’t find it, everything with the water would have to be done manually! As it ended up, I had to manually make the water spritzy!

If I didn’t wash the dog immediately, my plants would die! I mean, there was a lot riding on this bath and since I never did find the spray attachment and so the water was on all the time and it was wet all the time and all over the place and my DIY spritiness was not tidy - and if it were slightly later in the season it would have been fine but as it was a little early in the season, I was still wearing long sleeves and since it is now late in the long sleeves season, they would not stay pushed up! They kept getting in the way and falling down and getting wet and seriously impeding my DIY spritz finger on the hose… This would not have happened early in the long sleeves season…, but I would not have been giving Dogger a bath in the yard in October. The sleeves of the top in question may have never been good at staying up when pushed and perhaps, were not even designed to be worn pushed up and that was why they kept falling down and getting wet – I don’t know! We did not enjoy ourselves – Dogger and I, the sleeves have no votes, and suffrage for the sleeves is not yet on the table – even if they are.

No comments: