Monday, April 23, 2007

Freedom ain’t free

And citizenship comes with a price and good citizenship requires involvement and this weekend I paid for my citizenship at the cost of a perfectly good Saturday morning.

I again cursed the Democrats for not having the County Convention in Raleigh again. I know the convention center is a work in progress but there isn’t anywhere inside the city limits for them to hold these events? Do we always have to go to the back beyond - Lillington, I am looking at you, Clayton don’t get cocky, I ‘m looking at you too! I don’t know who they are kidding, no one wants to go to Knightdale! There isn’t any reason to be there, no one said Hm-mm. The meeting is over, lets all go spend the day wandering around Walmart! . I’m sure the town has many, many fascinating, no doubt historical places to go and things to see Hey Kids! It’s a Tobacco field!! And over there? A real life Tobacco Barn!! Woo-Hoo but really, the only things that stood out was a Walmart and a newish Lowes. The high school though, was gigantic and probably visible from space. People who live in Knightdale go to Raleigh on purpose, no one in Raleigh get s a wild hair and decides just to go check out Knightdale. They could have these events in Raleigh and let the folks in from the sticks spend the rest of the day at the mall or the museum or going to the movies or to Target, whatever.

Back to the 2007 County Convention.

Lord, or whatever you prefer to be called, please deliver us from the Trivial and protect us from our own territoriality..., thus started to 2007 County Convention of the Wake County Democratic Party. We then said the pledge of allegiance to a red, white and blue bunting, again.

There was a significantly larger group than the 2006 County Convention in Lillington and yay for the 83 percent of the precincts in Wake county that were represented. My precinct was represented, for the first time in years, by more than just me. I still don’t know for sure that I am the vice chair of the precinct or not and there is a very real possibility that I may be a member of state executive committee - as one of the 34 woman, there are also 34 men - including one guy that actually printed out a flyer asking us to vote for him! it’s not that big a deal. I didn’t even know I was on the list until I was casually looking at it to see if I knew anyone on I and found myself. I said “How the hell did this happen?” and one of my other precinct members said I had signed up to be on the list. Imagine my surprise. There is a better than average chance I won’t be because there were several nominations to the list that took the list to over 34 names.

We also elected a new chair, vice chair, second vice chair, third vice chair, secretary, Raleigh Vice Chair, Cary vice chair and a Wake County vice chair for all of those who live in neither Cary or Raleigh, we held election of members to district executive committees, heard a reading of a report by the treasurer, applauded the handing out of awards and two keynote speakers.

Due to time constraints we didn’t THANK YOU GAWD get to "considerations of resolutions from precincts" segemnt of the meeting and its endless hours of bitching and whining and garment rending. We had to be out of there by 1:30 pm, Damn it and the mood of the room said we wanted to be out of there earlier. We weren’t feeling a lot of extra crap; We had been there since 10am and the call for adjourned was greeted by raucous cries of Second!!! , we were out the door my 1:15.

No comments: