Tuesday, May 15, 2007

All politics is local


Don’t ya just love Tuesdays?

So close to Monday but not actually Monday and after you get though Tuesday, it’s all ready Wednesday and if you can endure Wednesday its Thursday and then all you have to do is bide your time until Friday and then bam its Saturday all ready.

My weekend is all ready booked. On Saturday if I so chose to accept my assignment, I have the much anticipated Second District Convention!!! Local politics at it’s very best.

According to the letter I received, from Brad Thompson, District Chairman of the 2nd Congressional District, Oh, you’ve heard of him! He’s been all over the 24 hour News channels - well, he was once on Channel 14! And they won’t just cover anything there was once a cat stuck up a tree in Harnett County and they only offered it minimal coverage. They are all about hard news. Okay, damn it, they’ll show up to cover the opening of a new box of cereal, it's 24 hour news, North Carolina-Style!.

But anyway. Actually, I read the letter in the first place because I thought it came from a different Brad, a more important Brad, for some reason I assumed the Democrat that was writing me to talk about the 2nd district convention was Brad Miller! Gawd! But that was dumb! Brad Miller represents the 13th congressional district, Bob Ethridge is my guy in the 2nd district! I should have known that! Okay, I’m kind of a geek because I did know that. It gets confusing as I sign many online petitions and get many “Dear-Constituent-I-Am-So-Interested-In-Hog-Waste-Pond-Disposal-Issues” letters from pols that aren't mine, I forget which pols are mine. I almost never sign petitions for Hog Waste Ponds, but just about every time I sign a petition I get a letter thanking me for my interest in Hog Waste. Since most of the petitions I sign are anti-war in nature, I kind of understand why Libby Dole sends me those. The Democrats, however, I expect more from. If you are going to shoot me out a form letter, at least send me the right form letter.

Anyway.

The Second District Convention on Saturday. I was a lot more excited about attending before I knew where I was going. The convention is at “The Historic Lee County Court House”. Okay, bully for them. The Lee County Court House is located in Sanford - as it turns out Sanford is an hour away! An Hour! Do you know how far away that is in $2.99 a gallon gas? $237! One way!

I was becoming significantly less excited.

But I read on The reason for this convention, Shockingly, not the free breakfast, not the 50/50 drawing or the cake sale, Is to continue our efforts to elect Democrats in the 2nd congressional district. We want to lead the state in the number of officials elected and the turn out percentage of Democratic Voters. The Path to 2008 begins today. Electing mayors, council members and school board members is extremely important to how government responds and serves our citizens.

Whatev. School Board? City Council? Gawd, I am bored all ready. Did I mention that Saturday is also Artsplosure, just a brisk, free, walk from my front door? Local politics is so dull.

But. City Council. My ugly little classmate and his designer sheet snuck in under the cover of a dull local election and now he has transformed my home town into an ugly little place. Now that they chased out the meskins, Who do you think Tim O’Hares merry band of bigots is going to notice next? Hmmm. Who else may not live up to their lofty standards of who can and can not live in Farmers Branch? They successfully stomped the Hispanics, there isn’t a large enough African American population..., who else could they hate? Hmmm. Who else do up to date right wingers hate? You can’t turn that off you know, once their hate has been validated,once they have felt the power of their hate, seen what it can do... the haters are all trained and ready to go, wanting to go... What are they going to do? They’re gonna pick another target. Tim better get married fast.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Re: Hog poop--You really SHOULD be interested in the issue! Go, You, for signing petitions about hog poop! Hog poop lagoons pollute ditches, which lead to creeks, which lead to The Neuse, which leads to the Pamlico Sound.

Anonymous said...

Re: Gasoline at $2.99 per gallon--I paid $3.39 for the same gas in Milwaukee over the weekend. Aaargh. Be GLAD for $2.99!