Thursday, May 3, 2007

It’s hot. Whhhiiinnneeeee


It’s so hoooooottttttt. And not in a skeevy Paris Hilton “hott” way either. I did have a conversation with a co-worker about the importance of “washing out your under drawers” in heat like this. I can’t tell you how much I did not want to think about this person washing out her anything much less her “drawers”. Ew. I especially didn’t want to hear about this at seven in the morning. I thought this was suited much more for a twenty after nine conversation or even better a quarter after never. I do not know this woman well enough to have conversations with her in which we discuss her underwear laundering schedule. I was like Yes. When it’s hot like this, you really should change your underwear. I, of course, only schedule my under wear changing and washing for months with R’s in them, but you do what feel the most comfortable with. Gah. I liked it better when our conversations were limited to saying Good Morning every day. But we can't go back now, not after discussing her underwear. I love my job.

If its not underwear with these people it’s hot flashes and their cycles and their daughters cycles and bras and don’t even get me started on the “It’s so hot I want to take my bra off” conversation that becomes the “Oh, nobody would notice!” or the “Oh Don’t do that! Keep those girls locked up! We might get another memo!! It might mean a change in the dress code!” or the ever popular “Oh here comes So and So, she’s got her B-52s on today!! and then explaining what B-52s are and arguing over whether they were jets or prop planes and what they have to do with bras or So and So’s appearance because So and So doesn’t know what they mean. I don’t want to know any of this. I would love to introduce them to THO - I’ve never heard them mention it, but I’m sure they would just love to obsess over it - there own, other peoples, great THO episodes from the past. They may never get any work done again.

When I walk in the morning the building is a sauna. We can’t leave the windows open all night or prop the doors open, so the building early in the morning is just awful. You walk in and walk face first into a huge wet towel and then that huge wet towel follows you around all day.

Today was really bad. I had my first Popsicle at 7:20am.

Did you know that nobody likes pineapple flavored Popsicle's? No one. It gets down to the pineapple Popsicles and people start sucking on ice cubes. I knew I didn’t like them and have the freezer full of year old pineapple Popsicles to prove it but I had no idea they were universally reviled.

Relief is in sight though. The weather people and the National Weather Service both promise it will be cooler over the next few days. They don’t agree on how much - the local guys predicting a return to the ice age, while the NWS went with a more conservative forecast of highs in the 70s. The A/C people at work are also promising to have the new chiller up and running by the end of the week, so instead of inside temperatures hovering in the low eighties, we should be expecting the chiller to have the inside of the building down around it’s usual 62 degrees by Friday morning. Right in time for the ice age.

Did you go to your anti-veto rally? I did, I was late, who scheduled this thing for 4pm?! and I forgot my camera, but I was there. Were you?

No comments: