Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Pictures

I have or had, approximately 189 of those pint sized 100 page photo albums. Really, I could build a fort. I decided that it would be easier to do something about them , then to actually clean the house – or I could just open a dust bunny petting zoo! My idea is to pack the little beasties up and cart them to Japan, once there I would just tell them that the dust bunnies were a new dwarf rabbit breed that sleeps a lot.

It could work, there are people who bought lambs because they were told they were poodles, really Thousands of Japanese conned into thinking lambs are poodles - I think I have a shot, and who can blame them, who among us have not seen a lamb and not said “OMG! It’s the cutest thing I ever saw ever! It’s so cute! I want one!!, of course, you knew it was a cute little lamby that would at some point morph into a less cute, big sheepy, but I mean, I’m not saying it’s going to be easy, I mean once bitten twice shy and everything, but I think as long as I don’t market directly to the people who bought the sheep, I might be okay.

Thousands … Sheep for Poodles, talk about being “fleeced”.

Okay, back to my photo album house keeping and away from how I could take advantage of other people. I had been thinking about doing something with the photo albums that were cluttering up my bookcase and threatening to take over my living room, but hadn’t really done anything concrete about it. I just kept adding to the stacks. I was holding out for the day I would reconfigure the bookcase where the stacks lived, move some things around, get rid of things – And I decided , that wasn’t going to happen. I also thought getting a book case cozy to make the whole problem go away – Hey, I have done it before and it worked, I totally forgot I even had 10,00 tacky video tapes.

But, I needed to grow, move on past simply covering up the problem, I needed to fix the problem.

I was a Poverty Barn and I saw my solution. two hounded page photo albums!, four of them, identical! I would have been happier if they could have been, say, black or brown - you know, a more professional looking album, and then I said “Why, What am I going to do “professionally” with these?” I decided that while they were loud as hell, and modeled after T-Shirts they were uniform and they were the right sized and shape, and they were cheap, and that should be enough.
It would have been really wonderful if there had been more of them, say four or five more of them but I figured (incorrectly) that if I went at some point in my travels, to a different Poverty Barn, that I might find the same product.

I came home, pulled out the albums and decided to actually put some mind to how plan this new organization. I decided to go by theme since at no point in the past has it ever occurred to me to date any of the albums – that I should just arrange the albums by theme. I chose “Marquette” as my first set and did them as chronologically as I could. I also forced myself to not cull, even if I really didn’t like the picture, even if it seemed to be of nothing, and a few were. Such was life before digital. I also re-discovered the non-joy of double prints. Gah.

It took a long time and two different sessions of sitting there going back and forth and I did discover that while the new albums are indeed cool, and a great space saver - they favor horizontal pictures and I clearly do not. But. I also decided that these are being used for long term storage and not as a means of display, so it doesn’t matter. I say these through gritted teeth because it matters to me, but, now at least my Marquette pictures are all together, arranged chronologically and the book case looks nicer, which was what I wanted in the first place.

No comments: