Monday, July 2, 2007

Dogger doesn’t feel well.

I knew something was up on Friday at the park. It was very nice, not too hot, no objectionable dogs. She should have been out there running around with the other dogs, going from person to person for pets. Dogger wasn’t running around or going from to anywhere to anywhere. I felt kind of bad making her be there.

She sat next to me the whole time. She sat there so long that one of the other dog people asked me why I was holding her there. I told her that while in the past, I have held her there, this time the staying was completely organic. The most she did in the hour we were there was walk over a few feet and lay down. She wouldn’t even get up when I told her we were leaving. I was at the gate and she was just laying there, watching me. And not in her normal, snarky “I’m not leaving. I’m staying. HA” way either.

After I got her home I noticed that her neck looked funny, it was wet and kind of stiff and icky. She isn’t that sloppy a drinker and water doesn’t usually leave affected areas icky. Also, water drys and her neck and throat weren’t getting dry. I was concerned.

I had noticed a couple of days prior that she had some sort of “thing” on her neck, I chalked it up to rough dog play or maybe irritation from her collar. No, it wasn’t her collar and she hadn’t played rough with any of the other dogs in a while. Denial is my favorite river.

Dogger was so down, she really worried me. I had just given her a bath Thursday and reapplied her Frontline and gave her her monthly heart worm pill. I had at that time washed her with her heavy duty flea shampoo, because of the “thing” areas, and I thought that maybe it was just too heavy duty and maybe it had irritated her skin some how. But. She wasn’t itching or licking, a dead “my skin is irritated” give away, instead she was just laying there. I had a thought and checked her ears. ick, and Bingo!

I went to Petco and headed straight for the medication area. I kind of decided that she had ear mites and that might be why her chin and neck were wet. I think her neck was the same as the last time she had this and the staining was around her ears. I think because she was face down under the desk so much that it had pooled and got on her chin and neck. Yucky, but not a separate problem in itself .

Petco was not my friend. They didn’t have anything mark “Instant Ear Mite Cure”. I did find some ear mite treatment stuff, but I all ready had some at home. I did come away with some anti-itch shampoo for the off chance she’s suffering from fleas and some new anti-itch spray.

I came home and armed with cotton balls, hydrogen peroxide, my old ear mite treatment and dog cookies. Dogger was so unhappy she actually let me clean her ears out twice, glop ear mite stuff down her ears and treat the little sore areas that may not actually be wounds. I also shampooed her chest and neck.

Saturday she was still pretty listless and energy-free. She was very sad and she was letting me clean her ears out pretty vigorously and reapply the ear mite stuff twice a day without any argument. It was just pathetic. By Sunday, she no longer wanted me to clean her ears or approach her with anything in my hands, she got up and wandered away, still not running away from me but she expressed interest in moving away from me under her own power. Things are looking up. Today, Monday, I’m calling the vet to see if they can see her ASAP. We’re going in vacation in a couple of weeks and I want her back to health before we leave. I don’t really want to deal with a sickly dog in a car for two days. Think happy, healthy doggy thoughts for us.


1 comment:

Cat said...

Awww, poor dogger! What did the vet say? Could it be a yeast infection?