Tuesday, August 7, 2007

BeepBeepBeep Damn.

I haven’t been at the mercy of an alarm in three weeks, well, there was that wake up call at the hotel but it didn’t mean that I had to wake up right then. I haven’t as much as looked at a clock out of anything more then mild curiosity in almost a month. Do you know how nice it is to not care about what time it is? To have it not matter? I mean, the luxury of getting up whenever you wake up and going to sleep whenever you go to sleep? BeepBeepBeep . Damn.

The one upside to being back is the promise of air-conditioning. It was as least as hot up there last week as it is here this week but here we have air-conditioning. I took Dogger on our first walk Monday night. It was hot. Shockingly. Dogger didn’t even want to go for a walk, she lay down in the drive way and started to sing We shall overcome. She even had the sway down. Sadly for her, I overcame her and we walked.

I knew I was on vacation, the people at work knew, the paperboy knew, the neighbors knew, but surprisingly my creditors did not. They insisted on sending me bills! Lots and lots of bills. A few of them due, hahaha, today. So I needed to go to the mail boxes, sooner rather than later. So at 5:30 (I’m all ready all about clocks and time ) Dogger and set out for the post office, the last pick up is 6pm. We speak to a guy sitting on a porch, we talk about the heat. We’re both hot.

We got there and safety mailed everything, we even chatted with the post guy standing outside collecting the last minute drop offs. We agreed it was hot.

We are almost home.

A nice, older man sitting in a truck (with the engine running) asks me about Dogger. Everyone asks me about Dogger. And usually, I am more than happy to talk about her. But it was hot. The man wanted to know if I had heard about the dog mauling out in California. Sadly, I said I had. He said he had a heard about the same thing back in the forties, except it was a woman and she was mauled by her Dobermans. He said they were nice dogs too. I said “Well, they were still dogs”. And then he told me about how his retriever lived for nineteen years! 19 years! A retriever, a big dog. And said that was a wonderful thing. I should also point out that it was very hot and I was now standing still in the very hot. The man had his trucks a/c going, he was in no hurry. He was enjoying himself.

And I was too, I mean, really, a nice conversation is a nice thing. But. He went on and on about his daughters dog and what a nice little dog it was and he had just finished babysitting it for an extended time. He loves that little dog. He said “People without pets don’t understand this, we don’t spoil them, they spoil us. And that is about the sweetest thing I have ever heard.

And sweat is flowing down my face and getting in my eyes and every time I wipe it away it comes right back and I am trying to be polite because he is being so sweet and he’s so obviously happy to be talking dogs with a fellow dog lover and the man goes on to say how he would never have stopped me if it wasn’t for Dogger and do not pet owners have this thing in common... and I say we do, we really do and he’s so nice and... I finally break away, after agreeing pet owners have this bond and while, yes, it was lovely to speak to him and all, but the whole time he had his a/c blowing and I’m standing there dieing.

So, onto the Photobloggingarama!!

No comments: