Tuesday, September 18, 2007

My Bad Experience With Lowes

The washing machine and I are done . Let me start from the beginning.

Saturday morning my phone rang at 8:45 am. The voice on the other end of the phone told me the truck would be at my house anytime between now and 11:00am. Needless to say, this got my attention and I hurriedly got up and dressed and ready. I looked out the window, the truck was not in my driveway. Okay “now” obviously was a little premature. Perhaps “soon”. I tidied in anticipation. I put away, cleaned up, disposed of everything that needed to be put away, cleaned up and disposed of before my new washer arrived. I even took a picture of the old machine.

And I waited. And the truck came! And there was joy throughout the land. The washing machine had landed.

Out with the old and in with the new. Yay! For my awesome shopping prowess! I came, I saw what I wanted and I got it! I was empowered! I was so proud of me.

And the guys fumbled around with the installation and I didn’t mind because my prize had arrived. I was gleeful. And the guys were really nice. They couldn’t install a washing machine to save their damn lives, but they were really nice. They left their drill.

And I called Lowes to tell them. And I loaded my new washer. And it washed! And then it spun. It nearly spun right off the platform.Nureyev couldn’t have achieved such leaps. Dorothy Hamel didn’t spin that fast.

The guys came back for their drill. I told them they could have their drill back after they leveled my machine. They asked if I had a level. I do not deliver large appliances, I do not carry my own level.

We all watched the machine jump and bounce. They agreed it was excessive. When the cycle was finished, they put new feet on it. As it turns out, the put new feet on it incorrectly.

They left.

I did another load. And the spinning and the bouncing and the jumping were back. I tried not to cry.

I called Lowes later that day to tell them that the machine was not level and I wanted them to send me someone who actually knew something about washer installation to come to my house. The guys were swell but they didn’t know what they were doing.

The prick on the phone said - “We don’t have a maintenance department, I can send out delivery guys...What do yew want me to dew??”.

Me - I took a deep breath and swallowed my first response... I told them I wanted them to “SEND ME SOMEONE WHO KNOWS ABOUT THE MACHINE AND I WANT THEM TO CORRECTLY INSTALE IT. And they should bring their own level.”

The prick on the phone said : He would leave a message with the day appliance manager and he would get back to me.

I said : “When”

The prick on the phone said - “I don’t know, he’ll schedules some guys in the morning”

I said : “To Come When? I have plans”

The prick on the phone : That’s up to him.

Me - Fine, thankyouforyourtimeGoodbye,.

Sunday morning I called them to see when I could expect them to come. Alphagals birthday party was at 4pm and I was not going to miss it because of these yoyos. . I call back and am told that the appliance manager himself is going to come instale my machine and he will be there soon. “Soon” became one o’clock. He said the delivery guys were part timers and that they put the replacement feet on wrong. He put the original feet back on. We turned the machine on. It worked flawlessly.

He left.

I went on with my life.

Monday night I needed to launder some jeans and a pair of socks.

The machine. The machine. You know The Exorcist? Like that only without the vomit. It literally tore itself apart. I called Lowes and told them to pick up their machine.

The appliance guy said he would just send out a replacement. I said that would be great. He said he would call me back after he spoke with his managers. Time passes. He calls back and tells me that I can’t have that model replaced because I got a deal on it, but if I could come by that evening or this morning, I could pick out a different one. I told him I didn’t want a different one. I want this one. He said that would not be possible unless I wanted to pay full price. I told him that would not be possible. I asked if they wanted me to come in to choose among the machines I did not want for the one I do not want the least? He said that is what I would do. I told him to take the charge off my card. I told them If I can’t have same model for the same price then our business is done. I told them they could come and get their lemon. I would go elsewhere, that is what I will do.

I ran the machine through the cycle with nothing in it. It turns out that my washing machine works flawlessly, as long as it’s empty. I will be starting over somewhere else and I will be writing a letter to Lowes detailing all the items I have bought from them in the past and all the items I won't be buying from them in the future.

No comments: