Friday, September 7, 2007

New!

Sorry, I would have been here soon but I was setting up my New TV!!. Okay, it’s not new new, but it is the only TV in the house that has no memory of the Clinton Administration . It was born and bred during the Bush Years, but it has always lived with good liberals and I can be pretty sure that FAUX News has never crossed it’s screen.

It’s very nice. It is a 2001 model! Sound old? The other TV was a 1984! The old TV couldn’t even recognize a DVD player. I’m pretty sure it could have carried on a relationship with a VCR, but I never pushed it. Old TV got and gets excellent reception with bunny ears and it has hook ups for a UHF antenna. New TV has it's own built in VCR but it doesn’t speak UHF and it doesn’t have it’s own set of antennae - it is however fluent in whatever the store brand TV top antennae I bought speaks, so it’s all good. And Yay! New TV!

But ya know what? There isn't a thing on network TV that I want to watch right now, when does the new season start?

All of that is going to be moot soon though, I think. I’m going to dump DishTV and go DirectTV or dump DirectTV and go DishTV. I can’t always remember which one I have. If HGTV was available without cable I would so dump who ever my provider is in a heart beat. However, Analogue is on the way o-u-t. The antenna are going to stop working very quickly and all TV’s are going to have to be on cable or cable substitute if you want to use them as TV’s and not very large paper weights. I really don’t want to deal with a new provider though. Time Warner has sent me mash notes for a while but I don’t return the feelings. I was with them in the past and I got hurt, they’re sneaky and they lie. I just want a new service that will be really sweet for the first couple of months and show it’s love by providing service even if it’s raining and I’ll be so touched by it’s thoughtfulness that I won’t even notice that it’s been two years and suddenly I’m paying three times what I was and then I’ll get all mad and they’ll counter by “giving” me the Sundance Channel, but then they’ll take away something like Bravo that while I don’t watch it a lot, I like knowing it’s there and replace it with nine channels of Disney crap, three “religious” stations and a few more home shopping channels.

Ideally, they would offer packages aimed at the child-free and those that prefer to get their religion the old fashioned way, by actually going to church. The people who watch those televised hustlers must feel so bad about not going to church, that they think they deserve to be screamed at . As a Catholic, I look at them and think “Damn. Ya’ll don’t even know about real evangelizing! I have two words for you: Spanish Inquisition, Ya’ll just tell people that if they don’t drink the cool-aid they are going to burn in hell after they die, We told them to drink up or burn here”. It’s always made The Church’s pro-life stance seem a little disingenuous to me, yeah, “Right to Life”, yeah, now.

No comments: