Wednesday, September 12, 2007

What Happens in Southeast Raleigh stays Southeast Raleigh

A few weeks ago, I took a break from my routine and walked Dogger to the post office and I ran across a crime scene. I would prefer that people limit the shooting of associates to areas that do not intersect with my dog walking routes. Of course, ideally, I would prefer that instead of shooting their associates that the gun- toting members of society would learn other means of teaching object lessons to other members of their community. Or at least less lethal lessons, does no one play the dozens anymore? Can’t we just insult each others Mama’s? Do we need to pop caps into one another? Can’t we all just not shoot one another where I might come across it?

Okay, back to now.

Monday night, Dogger and I were on our walk. I was going to go get a milkshake. “We” didn’t want to get a milkshake. I was going to make her, she’s a dog, she doesn’t get to decide our itineraries. I changed my mind. I walked back to the house and dropped her off. I went to get my milkshake. I should have stayed at home. My dog is a damn psychic.

I walked up to the window and I had to wait. I glanced behind me and see a cop car on Tarboro with it’s lights on. It was behind a black sporty looking car with some fake looking cop lights in the back window. I thought the cop car was pulling the sports car over for the blinky lights. They both turned their lights off. A black minivan pulled out of Tarboro and lit out very fast. The cop cards were still going in the other direction and hadn’t turned around yet. The girl finally came to the window to take my order, I place it and...

BANG


I screamed. The Cook Out menu sign was in the way and I couldn’t see what happened. I thought it was a gun shot, I thought the black minivan shot someone. The cops were by this time in pursuit.

The girls in the kitchen ran to the other drive through window and started to freak out. I looked around the sign and saw a crumpled SUV and a guy getting out of it. Another guy was running towards it. I smelled gas and became afraid the SUV was going to blow up. But then it didn’t. I had a phone with me and I called 911. And it rang and rang and rang. I had just called Alphagal and I thought maybe I hit redial by mistake. I didn’t. 911 finally picked up and I told them what happened.. I also told them I could hear sirens, 911 hung up.

The sirens were more cops. 911 was Not helpful. Behind the smashed SUV was a minivan on it’s side.

Cops were talking to it.

A crowd had gathered. The crowd felt that the van should be righted. The lady in passenger side needed to not be under the car like she was. Rumor had it she couldn’t breath or was having trouble breathing. The ambulance and fire trucks arrived. The cops told us to get back. And they asked for witnesses.

The crowd was really swelling by this time. It was like a ghoulish block party.

The one real witness stood out. She didn’t look interested, she looked horrified. A white woman. The people in the cars were white. I was asked if I was with them. A guy I was standing next to decided the cops were chasing the minivan and the police were to blame. I set him right. The asshole in the minivan was to blame. The guy told the cops I was a witness. They had me stand inside the police tape.

I watched the firemen hack at the vans’ roof with axes.

The cop decided I wasn’t really a witness. He then told the crowd if we didn’t leave right now he was going to start arresting us. The Drug Dealers crazy sister walked up, she was there because she had seen the unmarked chasing the minivan down our street.

I went home. Not one damn word about it anywhere. A suspect flees from the police and causes what could very well be a fatal accident and then leads the police on a high speed chase through a residential area. Not one damn word.

If it happened in lillywhite Cary? A newsbreak at the very least. My search did uncover a accident, in Cary! it took place at the exact same time. In Cary. No injuries, no police chase. Newsworthy!

I never did find out what happened to the guy that got shot. Vegas has nothing on Southeast Raleigh.

2 comments:

Cat said...

That's CRAZY. There should at least be some mention of it in the paper.

Thanks for the bday call, by the way. I was getting the stink-eye from the hotel check-in person and had to get off the phone before all your excitement started.

Unknown said...

The lady must have lived, I think if she had died, there might have been a story. But aren't you glad the desk clerk gave you a dirty look? I mean, if we had stayed on the phone, I would have to hang up on you and that would have been rude.