Wednesday, October 31, 2007

HAPPY HALLOWEEN !!!!!!

Getting Old


I am not having luck with my vet. I took The Kitty in for his blood work and when I picked up his script for the next three months of pred, I didn’t look at it. I didn’t have to. I took the script to Sam’s and they filled it. I took it home and looked at it. Um, pred is a steroid. It’s addictive and if you are going to go from one dose to another, you step down, gradually. You do not go from 20mgs a day to 5mgs a day.

But according to The Kitty’s new script that was exactly what we were going to do. I made a command decision and decided I wasn’t going to do it, if we were going to step down, I would have preferred to have some input. I doubled up on what they gave me and gave him his regular dose and made a note to call the vet’s office in the morning.

I was right, they were wrong. Of course they didn’t mean to step down The Kitty’s pred like that! In fact, they didn’t have any plans to step down the dosage at all. They had no clue why I got that script and were very concerned that the wrong script at Sam’s be destroyed ASAP so it wouldn’t be refilled. I said no problem. They gave me a new script for the right dose and I went on my way.

Dogger needed to go to the vet. I took the pills they gave me and went to the store to get the benydryl. I start giving Dogger her drugs and everything seems fine – until I notice her antibiotics seem to be running low. I was supposed to give her one pill twice a day for two weeks (1 tab PO BID), I should have had 28 pills, 2 pills per day for 14 days - I was given 14, which would be 1 tab qd.

So I called the vet and explained my problem and after an interminable wait, they read to me from The Kitty’s chart. I reminded them we were talking about Dogger. I waited again only to have the voice come back and tell me the docs needed to be consulted. Gah. Time passes. The office calls me back to express surprise that the script was wrong! I am not surprised. Two animals, two visits to the vet, two prescription errors.


Yesterday we received this email:

I received a request this morning to remind folks to keep the noise level down in the new building. As discussed in our staff meeting on 8/15/07, the following guidelines should be used in all parts of the building:
• Be aware of your voice volume-use well modulated tones (Be aware that your voice may be louder than it may seem to you)
• Do not talk from one office to another
• Do not have conversations in the hallway – step into an office
• Be aware of what you are saying and how a customer/co-worker may perceive your voice/comments, ie, no loud laughter, profanity, off-color jokes or sexual topics/overtones
While other staff in the building may not spend as much time on the telephone as we do, they do have to concentrate on their reports and other work. Also, be aware that the workplace is not the place for profanity or off color jokes.


There isn’t a soul in the building under the age of 30, and the great majority of us are women. So somewhere in the building, some middle aged women laughed too loud a dirty joke and we all get our knuckles rapped.

I go home and at home waiting for me are two pieces of junk mail. One from AARP trying to get me signed up for their insurance, the other from the makers of the Hover-Round, trying to get me signed up for a wheelchair. I get treated like a child and an old woman on the same day. Yay me.

4 comments:

Cat said...

It's alarming that they screwed up 2 prescriptions in a row.

I keep waiting for us to get an email like that- my boss guffaws loudly at his own not-quite-work-appropriate jokes (actually, we all do, to tell the truth) and we're just down the hall from the registrars who are on the phone with customers all day. We consider it a team-building activity to be obnoxious in the hallway with our manager, but the registrars probably don't.

Unknown said...

Nobody was happy about that email. It was greeted with the resounding sound of all our delete keys striking at once. I get to go back to the vets today at lunch to pick up and pay for rest of Doggers' antibiotics. If they were cool they would comp me.

Tony said...

Can we get a dog?

Unknown said...

You can have any dawg you want! May I suggest a silver lab?